Most new ipad 3 Targus cases are faulty!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lawenforcer, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Lawenforcer macrumors newbie

Just learned today all the new targus cases are faulty and do not work with the magnetic on/off. This was first confirmed at best buy when we took 2 iPad 3's and tested them with 4 new models, all failing to cooperate with the iPad 3 magnetic sensor. Apparently the magnets are misplaced in the new cases.. After posting my experience on the targus website, I was pleasantly surprised to get a response from their marketing team offering to send me a "tested" case at no extra charge and that I would be able to keep the one I had as a backup. All they asked for was a receipt. I called to confirm the mail and low and behold, it was true and I will see a replacement (correctly manufactured) in about 6-8 weeks. While this seems a long ways away, don't forget I still have my current iPad 3 versavu that works just fine other than the magnetic on / off so I really can't complain. Good for targus to not only acknowledge their manufacturing defect, but to offer to make it right? The rep on the phone said it was "a substantial amount if units that were defective" I would guess that the number is in the millions assuming that ipadjust sold 3 million units this past weekend and that targus was about the only company that had cases available at launch. So buyer beware, if the auto on offs is important to you then this is not the case for you right now, however if that's not a problem and you don't mind using their case for free until the redesigned one is available then it's a great case. This stems from apple :apple: not working with vendors to allow them to be prapaired for new product launch. Hope this review helps those who are questioning the targus...

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

This has been discussed to some extent in the iPad accessories forum which is where this thread belongs. But yes, they are all faulty, I tried over 20 of them at BB yesterday.

3. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

My Targus Vuscape that I bought at Best Buy yesterday works just fine. Close it up, apply a tad bit of pressure to get the lip on the long end to wrap around the iPad, and I hear the click sound (and can see the screen go dark underneath). I can fEel the slight magnetic pull.

4. stockcerts macrumors 65816

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The magnets are not misplaced. It's just that the wrong side of the magnet is facing the sensor. Apple adjusted the sensor so that it only reacts to negative polarity. Most case manufacturers did not know that.

6. Mr.DD216 macrumors member

Same here!

This exact same thing happened to me! I got the Targus Versavu 360 rotating case too & the on/off won't work! So can you tell me again exactly what u did because I need to file a complaint to get a new one too. I love everything about it I just want that feature too so please help me out
    And to u other guys were not talking about the Vuscape case. I tried multiple VERSAVU cases in best buy but when I put the Vuscape case on it worked so the problem is in the VERSAVU case

7. Built macrumors 68020

Read the thread linked a few posts above.

This thread is misplaced. It should be in the accessory section.