Most optimal monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Virgiltownsend, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Virgiltownsend macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was wondering what would be the most optimal monitor for my computer, I Have tried using another non apple monitor but faced significant fps lag whilst using it I am looking for a monitor that I can use that will allow me to play games such as World of Warcraft that require decent FPS to play.

Computer Stats are posted below:

Processor: 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 288 MB
    Software: OS x 10.9.3

Macbook Pro 17 inch Mid 2010

Thanks in advance :)

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

I think your problem is that the external monitor has a very high resolution that the older GPU has a hard powering. A different monitor won't make a difference but you could try to lower the monitor resolution and see if that fixes it. Also lower the graphic settings within the games you want to play.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've got a 2010 15" MBP, with similar specs yours will have. Our problem is going to be the Nvidia GeForce 330m. Mine only has 256MB of RAM, while your 17" with the i7 probably has 512MB, but that isn't the main issue, the clock speed and throughput is.

Most games like TF2, Portal 2, COD 4, Need for Speed, Burnout Paradise, etc won't run well at 1080P or even the native res of the built in display. Often though, dropping it down to 720p (1280 x 720) it'll run just fine. Most of the time on medium or so settings depending on the game. Older games like Half Life 2 or Portal can run at 1080P, but they're less demanding.

It should be switching from the Intel graphics to the 330m when you launch a game or use an external montior, but just to check you can download gfxCardStatus and it'll show you when it changes, and you can manually select the card to use.

For modern games, you'll just have to use lower settings, get a newer MacBook, or use a game console. I don't really game on mine, so it's a non issue. I use my PS3 for that.

As for a monitor, Apple's are nice and super pricey, Dell has some nice ones, Asus can have some decent full HD ones for cheap. All depends what you're looking for. I'm using an HP 2310m, but it was free, and it's 1080p so I can't complain :)