Most overlooked improvement of the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xenc, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most overlooked improvement? It has got to be the quieter vibrate alert.

Like the CDMA iPhone 4, the alert now feels a lot softer whilst in the hand, yet can still be felt when in a pocket. Best of all, it doesn't scare the hell out of everybody when it vibrates on a desk.

The S stands for softer!

2. Captain America macrumors 6502

I've noticed it. Especially when it's in my hand. Kinda strange. Still getting used to it as I've never had the CDMA version.

3. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've not seen the CDMA version either, but I believe they share the same motor design. The one in the iPhone 4 was counterweighted and placed in the corner, which made it loud and harsh.

This one feels like its not vibrating even though it is. Very strange! Definitely an improvement though.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, I really like this change. It just has a more, pleasant?, feel to it. And, its a lot less disturbing on a desk or table. Love it.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Mine has a much stronger vibrator, pretty powerful actually

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Huh, well that's something new. I have noticed that it has a smooth, solid vibration function whenever I get a notification.

7. BiscuitsNGravy macrumors member

That's what she said. :p

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I had a feeling the ladies/fangirls out there would say this ;) :p

9. Detlev macrumors 6502a

You can use custom vibrate patterns too. A couple of the optional patterns are even quieter. Check under the accessibility settings. You can also make the flash, flash when a message comes in. IDK if these features were available beforehand or if they are new, but now you know.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Much smoother, but if I can remember, my iPhone 4 got worse as time went on. I only use my phone on vibrate. Never on ring. So time will tell.

11. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

They are iOS 5 features for sure.

12. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I don't know that it is overlooked but the camera to me is amazing. I'll use it way more than Siri.

13. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The camera is fantastic, especially with the new lock screen shortcut and hardware shutter button. It takes photos so quickly!

14. Sylvan macrumors regular

Speakerphone

I noticed right away that the speaker is twice as loud as the speaker phone on my 3G. Much easier to have a conversation on speaker now! Oh and obviously compared to my 3G, it's so faaaaaaaaaast I love it!

15. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Even though I upgraded from an iPhone 4, I can still notice the speed improvements. It's the small improvements that are most noticeable (apps launching immediately, smoother animations, faster task switching, etc.)

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

This perhaps is one of my favorite improvements. My iPhone 4's vibrate was terribly loud and obnoxious. Now its quiet and strong.

17. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That is one thing I definitely love; the fact that the applications all open and close as soon as I give them the command to. Want to switch to something? Just double tap and move.

Half a second later I'm looking at a new application. I'm in the coffee shop ad I haven't opened my MBP yet. I seriously think I have found a replacement.

18. wirawee macrumors member

Another overlooked improvement I haven't confirmed: I believe the controller on the headset now has a glossy finish rather than a matte finish. Well worth the cost of the upgrade. ;)

19. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I think custom vibrations that you can design for each contact is the most overlooked feature. Now I know when the phone buzzes who is contacting me based on the vibration pattern without having to look at the phone.

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Love all of the improvements mentioned, but background syncing has probably been my favorite so far.

21. mralmostpopular macrumors member

It still feels hardcore to me. It seem stronger than any other phone I've ever owned, and it startles the crap out of me every time it goes off. On the plus side, I probably won't miss a lot of calls when the phone is in my pocket.