Most portable iPad stand that offers the most angles?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by anthrovisual, May 14, 2012.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

I'm looking for an iPad stand that is super portable but also offers at least 3 angles for viewing/working on an iPad.

Most stands seem to be either bulky or only offer 2 angles (typing and viewing without an in between).

I also need the stand to be portable and slim enough to fit into a pretty tight pocket and also be able to accommodate an iPad in a case (say .6" thick).

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

3. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

4. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

This reminds me of the Macally DualStand 2 (I think that was the name).

Do you know how heavy the case is?

The reason I am looking for a portable stand is that I am thinking of getting a case dedicated to being protective yet light and a dedicated portable stand instead of something that tries to combine both and makes compromises in doing so.

My logic is that when I want to hold the iPad (which is 70% of the time), I want the case to be built for holding and shock absorption. When I want to use the case at an angle, I want a stand that offers the most angles. Instead of getting a case that tries to provide for both halfway.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

6. anthrovisual, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I was curious about that one too. How small of an angle can it handle and how much pressure can you use on the iPad's surface without it adjusting?

The main angles I need are viewing (high), and drawing which is sort of around 45 degree angle. I'm concerned that the pressure from drawing on the screen will be too much for this stand to keep it's angle.

7. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

8. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

No problem with those angles. The stand is very sturdy. I read some reviews where people were afraid it would loosen up too much over time, but even at a year old its still going strong. For $10.00 you really can't go wrong. In landscape mode there are many angles.

In portrait you can still angle it however it would likely be less versatile since its more top heavy. It has rubberized pads underneath it and where the iPad touches it, so the iPad is very sturdy while its in place. I have never had it fall over, even while typing in the lowest position or even at its highest for that matter. I almost never use my iPad in portrait though.

I figure if it does wear out after a year or two, then I will have more than gotten my money's worth. It might not be quite as tiny as you wanted, its about 1 inch x 1 inch x 7 inches long when folded up. You can easily fit this into your pocket or purse. Anyway, I love mine. You should check out the reviews on Amazon for more opinions perhaps.

9. ElDogman, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

Kavaj Hamburg
    [​IMG]

has three angles in stand mode.

Fold the cover back and tuck it under the flap and you get two more ipad 1 case style angles (typing and landscape). Also one more if you fold it the other way, so that's 6 angles.

seems pretty light too.
    The Belkin cinema leather folio and stripe folio also has the same angles and options but its thicker and bulkier.

another is Ozaki icoat slim-y series
    you can fold the cover into different ways as well as using the smart cover style folds.. that's at least 5 different angles, one of which allows you to use it in portrait mode
    [​IMG]

-edit-
    sorry just realized you wanted a stand not folio.
    I'd have to third the Arkon then

10. Candurin macrumors regular

I ordered the belkin and the arkon mobile stands to compare them both. I'll keep you posted (they should arrive at my house this afternoon).

11. davys macrumors regular

+1 from me too. I carry it with my iPad everyday and it weighs next to zero and takes up hardly any space. Will be ordering another soon for kitchen table use.

12. Candurin macrumors regular

Well, I just tried out the Belkin FlipBlade Adjust and the Arkon Portable.

The Arkon is multi adjustable, 20 available positions ("clicks") from fully open (more than 180 degrees!) to closed. It is 7" long and 1.2" high (1" wide) closed up. Not tiny, but can fit in any briefcase. At first glance, it is very gimmicky and a bit "cheesy" but it works really well and is only $10!

The Belkin is an aluminum stand and has only 4 positions from closed to fully open. It is flat, except for the bottom portion (that actually holds the ipad) which is 0.85" thick.

So, as much as I really like the Belkin's finish and the fact it would lie "more flat" in my bag, I am going to stick with the Arkon Stand. It has a LOT more angles to choose from and is less than half the price (Belkin stand is $25 at amazon).

Really can't go wrong with either one. I'm taking function over fashion with this one :D

13. Getitdone macrumors member

I have the iPad 360 Lift and I love it. It has 8 positions and holds the iPad in both portrait and landscape modes. It folds flat. It is very basic - no fancy materials, etc. but I have used it almost every day and it has held up perfectly.

I found it at FiveBelow for $5 but it is also available online through GPG2 for $19.99

Here is a link to a video showing the product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LoWjaOs2zs

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Haven't seen the product myself, but the website claims its very portable. They even give you a little carrying pouch.
    http://www.jadu-industries.com/#Portable iPad stand

15. sweetestbaboon macrumors member

sweetestbaboon

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that that's the most compact stand design I've seen, but I thought it only had two angles? OP wanted at least 3 angles.

17. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. I've found an angle in between "typing" and "viewing" is necessary for everything else. You can sort of get this angle with the smart cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTgFQdzHL8&feature=youtube_gdata_player but I'm considering ditching the smart cover for two dedicated items.

The Arkon stand is looking like what I'll try first. The 360 stand also looks interesting but due to size, I'm curious about the Arkon.

The origami case is also interesting (particularly since Moshi is coming out with one) but I need a break from folio style cases and try the dual dedicated approach for a while.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

Its pretty light and easily removed. Theire newer case is not out yet and it looks even lighter.

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Just wondering if you got the Arkon stand yet and whether it worked out for you? If you get the 360 too, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it as well.

20. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't ordered one yet (am looking to see if they sell it nearby), but will post my thoughts here when I have a chance to check it out.

I'm first deciding on a case to go with the stand so I can make sure they are compatible.

21. erea macrumors newbie

erea

I don't mean to throw my own hat into the ring, but we just launched a product on Kickstarter that exactly meets your needs.

http://bit.ly/thecoburns

[​IMG]