Most protective laptop bag/case/system?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMann2380, Apr 18, 2009.

1. JMann2380 macrumors newbie

Now that my 17" Macbook Pro will be here next week, I need to start thinking about a new bag to protect my $3000 computer! What is the most protective bag out there? Tom Bihn w/ Brain Cell? Most manufacturers don't make mention of how well they protect your laptop...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Josh

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Case wise, there's pretty much just Speck and Incase that are interesting and have the advantage to let you use your MacBook with peace of mind while you're away of your clean desk.

Incase seems to be better, easier to put it on.

Speck is better looking, but seems to have the negative point to scratch by accumulating dust it and rubbing on the surface. It's also harder to remove, depending on the technique you use.

Personally, I own a Speck because there's nothing else available for me. I remove it every 2-3 days to avoid any scratch from dust. I also use the credit card method they show on their website. The removal seems pretty brutal, but the unibody construction seems strong enough to resist it without any scratches or abuses to the finish. So far that's what I can tell. Quite happy of this purchase.

There's also the Zagg invisible plastic film that you apply on the notebook. They claim that it can make the finish completely scratches proof. I don't like it, and give absolutely no protection against dent while hard case can help to avoid until a certain extend.

3. JMann2380 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am actually looking for a case (sleeve) / bag combo. Like the Empire Builder & Brian Cell from Tom Bihn! This is the front runner right now... is there any others that have better protection for my laptop? Booq, Waterfield?

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the problem is, no one really makes anything that is protective and ventilated well... heat is a killer on these machines as they are already limited in how they vent hot air....

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Pelican makes the 'most protective laptop bag/case/system'.

I believe if your laptop is damaged whilst in a pelican case, they will replace it (laptop + case).

6. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

The hard cases mentioned above, especially the Pelican, are the best protection you can get, but if you need to compromise and get something you can throw inside a backpack or another bag then I'd recommend the Moshi Codex as a very protective soft case. I have one and find it great as it fits inside my existing STM bag.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

I use an incase sleeve and a northface surge backpack for my 15inch mpb:)

8. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

brenthaven makes some really good stuff, they pride themselves on the protection aspect. Pelican is great but you cant carry anything but the computer in them.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm considering a Pelican myself.

10. JMann2380 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is to carry my laptop when it is OFF! I am not looking for a speck or similar snapon case thing. I am looking for the most protective bag I can find!

11. JMann2380 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like that Otterbox... too bad they don't make one for the 17"!

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

One of those aluminum briefcases will give you the best protection.