Most protective low profile case for the X?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TH55, May 29, 2019.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I searched my history to see if I’d posted this before and couldn’t find it, I’m leaving for Europe in 2 days and recently discovered the glass is $550 to replace through Apple.

Just spent about an hour at Best Buy trying different cases, the Speck, Tech 21 and Platinum all seemed fairly easy to text one handed with but I just want to be sure I am getting maximum drop protection. I would also like to get a screen protector. Thanks!

2. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

UAG = Urban Armor Gear is the Gold Standard.

3. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

4. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Otterbox does a great job for drop protection. I also like incipio. I just bought a battery case that is drop proof but quite heavier than any of the other cases I have had for my X

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmm I guess both? I just want minimum inhibition of use, to be able to easily text one handed

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Guess there’s a fine line between slim and low profile.

I personally like the ringke slim 360 cases but they’re only good for scratch/small drop protection.

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How about Apple’s silicon case

8. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Caudabe all the way! The slimmest one I have found that protects up to 9 foot drops. I heard about them from here and boy were they right. Will be getting them from now on!

https://www.caudabe.com/

9. kenvip88 macrumors member

kenvip88

Ringke Fusion. Not so big.
    Or UAG, 1st in my mind

10. marzfreerider macrumors member

Definitely recommend UAG Pathfinder/Monarch or Speck Presidio.

11. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

It's a great minimalist case for travelling. Had it with me for a trip last year. It stayed in my pocket for the 9 hour flight & it didn't even bother me.

I use a much more minimalist case now back home, but if I travelled again, i'd consider taking it with me.

The open bottom seems to bother some, but I appreciated that it made gestures easier to pull off. & with a screen protector, the sides will rise slightly, so gestures from those edges will also be easier. If you find the right protector, you'll still have a lip for lay on the table protection for the front.

Tip, if you can go into a nearby Apple store, try the case in your pocket to get a feel for it (just make sure the genius knows what you're up to ;)).

12. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Ringke Fusion = decrease cell signal.

Any tight fitting TPU case should be good for OP. Otter box has the new Figura if you don’t mind paying for it.

13. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I’ve had good luck with the Silk Slim grip case. I liked the one on my iPhone 7 Plus so much I bought another for my iPhone XS Max.

14. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I've been using the Pitaka MagCase on my Xs Max...

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That’s what I’m buying as we speak

16. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Take a look at the Apple leather case btw.

17. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I used the original Apple silicone case for a year or so but found out to be sticky and thicker than I prefer. Then I tried the original Apple leather case and bingo, it is the best case in my opinion. Thinner than the silicone case yet harder and more durable, slides in and out of my pocket without turning my pocket inside out like the silicone case yet protects the phone better than I expected. The phone hit the hard floor many times from a hand height and suffered zero damage. I have been using it for over a year now and the case shows minimal wear and it looks almost as good as it did when it was new.

18. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I'm one of those people it bothers. Whenever you plan to resell and take pics with the case off there's a visible difference on the frame of scratches where it's open on the bottom although I do see how people would feel it makes it easier to swipe up from the bottom.

19. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

Tech 21 evo check is very thin and quite protective

20. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I’ve already started to notice it sticks in my pocket, does it do that with all pants?
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2019 ---
    I really didn’t like how that one looked tbh

21. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I'm not a fan of the silicon cases because it can be "grabby" in one's pocket... and it attracts dust and lint like nothing I've ever seen. Add to that the fact that soft rubber-like material is not particularly protective, and I just don't see the point. But some folks love them. You pay your money and make your choice. YMMV.

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So you don’t think it will protect much against drops?

23. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

Personally, I do not. Of course, what protection it affords depends a lot on how it's dropped, where it's dropped and what kind of surface it impacts as a result of the drop.

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Honestly, there are no slim/low profile cases that offer good protection. It's a matter of physics. The TPU and silicone cases look good but offer little real protection.

The best cases are 2 or 3 layer solutions and have a solid raised edge to protect the display (a solid edge that doesn't retract when the phone makes hard contact). You need a hard shell on the outside for impacts and soft material on the inside. The OtterBox Commuter is a good starting point.

71Wcaut-WRL._SL1480_.jpg

25. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

Caudabe sheath IMO is the best thin protective case that covers all sides of the phone.