Most protective yet light case with removeable/storable cover/SmartCover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by anthrovisual, Apr 18, 2012.

1. anthrovisual, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

anthrovisual macrumors regular

Hey everyone.

I have been trying out different cases and am beginning to get a picture of what I really want to use.

I first used the Otterbox Defender for the new iPad but did not like the amount of weight it added or the screen protector.

I switched to the Moshi Concerti and Monoprice screen protector and started to like it, but still find it pretty heavy (about as heavy as the Defender) and bulky to hold with one hand.

I'm now interested in a case that maintains some protection for drops (so it covers the corners, bezel, back), without compromising weight and has some sort of screen cover and stand option (either with a Smart Cover, or its own cover).

I've looked at a bunch of cases that are compatible with the SmartCover but I don't recall finding one that offers much drop protection. Most pretty much cover the back but the corners and bezel are still pretty vulnerable. Perhaps it is not possible to pad the corners or the bezel as the SmartCover wouldn't allow the room. Maybe someone out there designed a customized SmartCover that is slightly smaller to allow padding?

I've also considered other folio cases but I get annoyed with handling the front cover when using the iPad as, you know, a tablet. If the cover is attached, I need some way to lock it into place so it's out of the way. I think the Maroo case does this (as does the Concerti), but I think that case is probably too heavy.

Also, no cheap stuff. I've seen one folio case that used cardboard. Seriously.

Has anyone come across the kind of case I'm looking for? Something as light as possible while still offering some protection for drops and has the option of a screen cover/stand that isn't cumbersome when not in use?

Probably either a really protective case compatible with the SmartCover (or its own version) or a really light yet protective folio case that can secure its cover so its out of the way.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

The Incase Magazine Jacket is probably a good choice. The case itself weighs almost nothing and the hard outer shell will provide some protection in the event of a fall however I doubt it'll save your iPad from serious damage. The cover folds back nicely and out of the way if you're using the iPad in portrait mode.
    [​IMG]

Virtually all case manufacturers have a case similar to this so you could take your pick from any brand really. I just happen to pick this one up since I had a bestbuy rewardzone certificate I needed to use before BB goes belly up.

3. alau0115 macrumors regular

Hey anthrovisual,

I wonder did you try SwitchEasy Canvas for iPad 3rd gen? How do you compare it to Moshi Concerti for the iPad 3rd gen in terms of weight?

Thanks.

4. anthrovisual, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I have not tried the Canvas but judging by the photos I could predict it is lighter and perhaps thinner than the Concerti. If anyone wants to post the thickness and weight of the Canvas, I could compare them more accurately as I have the info for the Concerti. Also, after getting a feel for the Concerti, I must say it seems to offer much more protection than I thought, if that matters to you.

Personally, though, I have reached the conclusion that the book-like folio style of these cases is not for me. I really don't like the added thickness from the full-body cover, it just makes the iPad feel too bulky and hefty in my hand. If you always use the iPad on a table or something, then it's a good option. But if you want to hold the iPad more than 50% of the time you use it, I recommend going as thin and light of a case as possible.

I'm now searching for a case that either uses the SmartCover or has a SmartCover like integration for minimum thickness with some protection. I basically desire a case that lends protection but gets out of the way when I'm using the iPad, and I'll just be more careful than I would otherwise.

5. PDACPA macrumors regular

PDACPA

Does anyone know if the incase magazine jacket would allow me to slide the ipad into the apple charging dock for ipad?