Most reasonable computer for the next four years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newmacboyoutube, Apr 24, 2010.

1. newmacboyoutube macrumors member

Would a MacBook Pro high end model last me the next four years without being too out of date, or would the Mac Pro last me longer??? of course, the Mac Pro, if I buy it, will be bought when it gets updated with the new six core intel xeons....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally laptops "age" faster than Desktops since they have inferior hardware to begin with, but either will likely last you four years.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are not in the same league, as one is upgradeable with HDDs, RAM, GPUs, expansion cards, maybe even CPU, ..., the other only with RAM and HDD.
    One is portable, one can be carried with a small bag. One is heavy, the other one is heavier. One is supporting more than two displays, one has one built in.

Both Macs cater to different purposes and needs. And both will be still useable in four years, just perceivably slower due to experience and knowledge of newer technology.

4. newmacboyoutube thread starter macrumors member

Yes...

Yes, I know all that, but comparatively speaking M:apple:c Pros will excel at all the tasks I will throw at it easily while the M:apple:cBook Pro will lag at it?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That cannot be said with 100% certainty as that depends on the tasks. Text Edit or word editing applications might run "faster" on a Mac Pro, but they are already fast on a MacBook Pro.

So, with every one of these threads, it comes down to what you want to use it for and what you value.

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I only recently quit using a last gen 15" 1.67ghz G4 PowerBook(looks like the 1st gen MBP), after comparing it head to head with a 15" MacBook Pro at an Apple Store. It came out roughly 4 years ago and did a pretty good job the entire time.

The most notable difference is in the graphics and screen, aside from the the new one beating the old one in a simultaneous startup to a web page.

The first Mac Book Pros are nearly as old now and people are still using them too.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It is, of course, impossible to answer this for sure. But I can't even hazard a guess if you don't let us know what you need it for.

8. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

My experience...

I've had a macbook pro for 3 years and it's still fast and going strong. But it just depends which tasks you want to do- and how much mobility you want. Mac Pro- Fast and upgradable with NO mobility
    MBP- Fast , slightly upgradable (SSDs will greatly enhance the MBP) and HIGHLY mobile.