Most reliable external HDs

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Care to chime in on what's the most reliable external HD brand(s), and which you you guys and gals personally use with your macs?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I use Western Digital. It was the smallest one I could fine that was powered by the computer through USB. And I also found it the easiest to partition so I can have half Windows and half Mac.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I have had good luck with my External WD Passport.
This is the one I got.
If you dont need it right away, I would wait a few months as hard drive prices have soared dut to the flooding in Thailand.
EDIT: If you want you can get a hard drive and an enclosure separately.
Also any hard drive will do, you just need to format if for Mac.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My, they are beautiful, but quite pricey! Is there a reason for their high prices?
I suppose price is relative. I found their prices quite acceptable, but I'm sure if you shop around, you can find something that meets your needs at a lower price. After all, you did ask for recommendations on most reliable, not lowest price. The two don't always go hand in hand.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
From what i've read solid state drives have a predefined # of reads and writes before they will fail. It may not come into play in most user environments, but it is something to keep in mind. Loading your os might not put as much demand on the drive as loading other forms of data and applications.

dizmonk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Ditto except I got the 3GB WD.

I use Western Digital. It was the smallest one I could fine that was powered by the computer through USB. And I also found it the easiest to partition so I can have half Windows and half Mac.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
All platter-based hard drives are the same and will fail. If you need reliability get an SSD.
Except for all the SSD's that fail as well. Maybe you should have said "Get an Intel SSD". Slower but best reliability. Corsair, Kingston, OZC, OWC, Crucial, Samsung all have similar failure rates as mechanical.