Most reliable external HDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Jan 9, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Care to chime in on what's the most reliable external HD brand(s), and which you you guys and gals personally use with your macs?

2. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I use Western Digital. It was the smallest one I could fine that was powered by the computer through USB. And I also found it the easiest to partition so I can have half Windows and half Mac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are the same and will fail. If you need reliability get an SSD.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I have had good luck with my External WD Passport.
    This is the one I got.
    If you dont need it right away, I would wait a few months as hard drive prices have soared dut to the flooding in Thailand.
    EDIT: If you want you can get a hard drive and an enclosure separately.
    Also any hard drive will do, you just need to format if for Mac.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Are there affordable SSD external HDs available now? I'm not finding many...

----------

My, they are beautiful, but quite pricey! Is there a reason for their high prices?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I suppose price is relative. I found their prices quite acceptable, but I'm sure if you shop around, you can find something that meets your needs at a lower price. After all, you did ask for recommendations on most reliable, not lowest price. The two don't always go hand in hand.

8. jwm2 macrumors regular

From what i've read solid state drives have a predefined # of reads and writes before they will fail. It may not come into play in most user environments, but it is something to keep in mind. Loading your os might not put as much demand on the drive as loading other forms of data and applications.

9. dizmonk macrumors regular

Ditto except I got the 3GB WD.

10. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Except for all the SSD's that fail as well. Maybe you should have said "Get an Intel SSD". Slower but best reliability. Corsair, Kingston, OZC, OWC, Crucial, Samsung all have similar failure rates as mechanical.