Most reliable hard drive for powermac g4 mdd server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drnebulous, Jun 26, 2014.

1. drnebulous, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Hiya,
    I'm making my Powermac G4 MDD into a server. Now it's time to choose the hard drives. Performance isn't a priority - all I'm looking for is reliability - hard drives that lasts. Which one of these would fit:

Western Digital RE
    Western Digital SE
    Western Digital Green

Or maybe something else? I need at least 3tb.
    The RE is way more expensive than the green - is it worth it? I'll be using the server for backups and accessing files from around the world, sharing files etc... (basic stuff)

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Offtopic but when reliability is concern, I think the power supply of that machine is more worrying unless it has been replaced / repaired already. According to internets those machines had quite a lot of PSU failures.

I think no matter what drive you choose, it would be good thing to ensure that the drive stays cool, probably even add fan just for the drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/enterprise/

3. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I know the psu's are crap in these, but it doesn't matter as I'm putting an tax corsair in it! I will definitely be adding drive dedicated fans for the HD! But I was just wondering if the RE/SE are worth it?

4. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

It's going to be a great server. I got it for £20 but it was full of dust etc... so I have completely stripped every component and chassis (the lot) and fully cleaned each one. It is all in pieces at the moment! I am changing the PSU to a corsair and changing the fans to Delta FFB1212EHE's. I'll also put dedicated HD fans in and a pci exhaust.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

My MDD has turned into my server too. I have a 500GB Enterprise Storage WD which I bought for $25 that seems reliable enough for just storage. Works well!

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Anything Western Digital is pretty good, they are reliable drives, and not all that expensive.

7. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

Thanks everyone for your help! Just got two 1tb SE's for £35 each! Will be getting a green 3tb later on for all the unimportant stuff.