Most requested feature for the iPad keyboard...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Photomax, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Photomax macrumors regular

I am simply loving this iPad. The features, the apps, the size and the battery life are all way cool.

But you still have to type text on this thing. There is no mouse. What I really want is a way to navigate through previous typed text. With a mouse on a regular Mac you can place the curser wherever you want, easily. You can also use the keyboard arrow keys.

Say you type a whole bunch of text on the iPad. Navigating to an error is a royal pain. Its hard. There is no mouse. OK. But I long for arrow keys that lets you back up the cursor to where you want to edit your text.

Big time...

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I can't understand why they didn't include arrow keys. The hold-down-til-it-magnifies thing works ok, but it's far too easy to wind up with the cursor one spot off from where you want it, and you have to repeat and repeat til you get it exactly right. And don't twitch at the last second as you remove your finger. When a single push of an arrow key would fix the issue immediately!

3. infamousjax macrumors newbie

Coming from a smartphone that has arrow keys let me tell you that the magnifier is much better. By the time you navigate the cursor near the word you correct and then start tapping arrow keys, you could have already selected what you needed done with the magnifier.

I'm sure apple will come out with something soon that beats both of those options, though. Just wait. :)

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The arrow keys that allow you to direct the cursor are what I miss the most. if an App like iA Writer can incorporate it into their keyboard, I don't see why Apple can't.

5. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so, because the current system sort of drives me crazy...

6. Kupp macrumors regular

Yup, some direction buttons would be a great help.

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I see no reason why there can't be both. The magnifier works fine for getting the cursor in the right general place (particularly when lines of text are too small to always hit the right one accurately with a single tap), but for getting the cursor in one exact spot the precision of arrow keys would be a big help. Not to mention for scrolling within text boxes, which can be anywhere from annoying to nearly impossible.

8. Smoothness macrumors regular

main reason why i don't type alot on the ipad. all my responses are usually short and sweet.

less room for error

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

This was my main gripe since day 1 last year and still is! Arrow Keys!!

10. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Number keys on the same layout as letter keys and (less importantly) arrow keys would be good.
    I think both of these are available with (paid) Cydia apps but that is obviously of no help to iPad2 owners.

11. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed one other thing on this just today. I was filling out a comment on a web bulletin board (not this one) and then posted it. Realizing I had made an error I hit the edit comment button. This reopens the edit box. The issue was that only the top portion of my text would show in the box: there was no way to scroll down to the lower area where I wanted to correct my error. I had to access my real Mac to fix this.

We must get navigation keys on this virtual keyboard!

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

13. dacapo macrumors 6502

Definitely agreed with this. (Or put a scrollbar in each textbox when in edit mode... but that would be even more complicated from a programming perspective. So, yes, arrow keys please!)

14. Smoothness macrumors regular

+1

it's these little but simple things i wonder why Apple didn't catch or have yet to fix.:confused:

15. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

The "undo" button can be placed elsewhere! It's too easy to hit on accident!

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Scroll with two fingers.

You can easily do what you want if you tap and hold on the cursor and drag it where you want it.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would rather have the number keys always visible.

18. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yes! I have had the same problem repeatedly! It drives me crazy. I have a similar scrolling issue on popups, like today I tried to invite people to an event on FB but I couldn't scroll through the list of people at all. It seems like the only thing that will ever scroll is the main page - nothing within a popup or within a text box. The arrows would at least fix the second problem.

19. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You clearly didn't read my comments. That's what I do, but it can be very hard to get it to hit the exact spot you want - and if you wind up one character over, you have to tap and hold again, and hope your finger doesn't twitch again at the last second. I often have to do this two or three times to get the cursor in the right position, when arrow keys would make it a no-brainer.

20. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

ARROW KEYS and TAB

ARROW KEYS and TAB are my most needed keys.

Also, on an External Keyboard you can use the COMMAND and CONTROL combination keys. these two would be very useful on the built-in iPad Keyboard.

And why not, and alternate Numeric KeyPad would be the cherry on top of the ice cream. :D

21. rockinmorockin macrumors member

i would love something like swype...who is with me?

22. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Arrow keys are a bit of an obsolete concept on a touchscreen. I agree the magnifying glass can be improved to be more accurate (I'm sure it will come), but implementing arrow keys is going backwards. I'm quite used to the magnifying glass now too.

Also, I recommend the guys in this thread check out the iPad tips & tricks thread. It would explain about scrolling long forms (you use two fingers), or 'tabbing' (four fingers on spacebar).

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

Arrow keys

I have to agree about the arrow keys. It is a PITA to correct something. I don't think it's going backward. Just because it has been used forever does not mean it needs to be changed. There are some things in life that just work well. As long as we have keyboards I just can't see getting around the need for arrow keys.

I would not even mind if they were on the number keyboard. I think there would be plenty of room and yet not take up precious space on the letter keyboard.

24. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

Right now we have duplicate numbers (etc) link keys on both sides of the space bar. I would much, much, rather have an arrow key system on the right hand side (like a regular keyboard)...

Anyone agree? Then please post a request on the Apple iPad feedback link...