Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Apparently the exact wording of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act provides that copying and distributing "a work" into a new format IS legal "if the original format becomes obsolete".

"In addition, the amended section permits such a library or archive to copy a work into a new format if the original format becomes obsolete—that is, the machine or device used to render the work perceptible is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."

Wow, with that news i think i'll go play some bomberman on my PSP :-D (j/k, i don't have a psp, but if i did i would be)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Normal copyright still applys. If you don't own the original ROM it's illegal to obtain a copy of that ROM in another format.

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
It's possible and I have done it. do some searching for emulation software for mac os x.
Your on your own finding roms.
Abstract said:
Can you turn a mac into an SNES? I'd luurve to play Super Mario Kart on my PowerBook. *drool*

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
robbieduncan said:
Normal copyright still applys. If you don't own the original ROM it's illegal to obtain a copy of that ROM in another format.
Just to clarify, so people don't misunderstand. Owning the original ROM doesn't mean owning the game. It means owing the ROM, as in making the ROM yourself from the your copy of the game.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I had a playstation, snes, snes, genesis, and a couple other emulators on my modded xbox a while back (before I sold it). It was awesome playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on an xbox. Though I owned both of those discs...

I really dunno how anyone would come after you as long as you weren't sharing it or selling it, I think you'd be okay. Ethically? perhaps not, but nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.