Most secure way to lock computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I like to know what is the most secure way to lock my MacBook from unauthorized users. I read that 30% of lost laptops are at airport security gates. If someone get a hold of my Mac, I want to make sure it will be useless or unable to be sold.

I also read that single user account is easy to break.

What's the deal with setting up firmware password?

Suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest using Filevault, and setting up a USB Key to lock the system.

Details of the lock can be found here: http://www.rohos.com/mac-os-x/

TEG

3. kolax macrumors G3

Well, you can't prevent it from being used or sold, even if you encrypted the hard drive. They can just replace the hard drive very easily on the MacBook's.

Something like File Vault or encrypting the hard drive will be what you are looking for, so if someone did get a hold of it, they wouldn't be able to get a hold of your data.

4. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

firmware password makes it impossiable to boot from CD/DVD, external drive with OS X disc, etc., right?

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

that only works by using the device's USB serial / ID. How easy would it be to spoof that. Filevault sucks. Seriously, unless this guy has some top secret government files, why not just keep them in an encrypted disk image that he can mount on demand instead of screwing up his whole user account?

Yes. If you turn on the firmware password, you can't do jack diddly without unlocking it first.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm skeptical about firmware passwords - I don't think it's that hard to wipe it. We used to do this on Dell machines when people left the company - they would use the firmware password and then the tech would pull the little battery that keeps the clock running and then you have access. Obviously this might not be true for Apple, but they do need a way to power the clock when the system isn't running.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's quite easy to get around the firmware password.

It's not the best security method in the world.

8. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Please correct me if I am worng.

FileVault is for encrypting your files only. Mac will still boot but files are restricted without PW.

Firmware Password set is to prevent any who doesn't have the Log-in password to booth from soemthing other than the internal HD; which allows them to change admin. password or restore the drive with OS X disc.