Most suitable Macbook for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylera, Nov 5, 2014.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm pretty sure I want to get a MacBook Pro for my next laptop, but I'm debating on which to get.

Background: I currently have an iMac and an Air, but I have noticed that more often than not, my iPad and keyboard are quite enough for my needs. I am a student studying translation, so I spend a lot of time reading and typing notes or papers. My ideal situation that I am hoping for is to use my iPad for most uses, and if I need the extra oomph, bring a full fledged laptop.

I also like to play games, but I do not follow the latest trends. Most of my gaming is done on WoW, and when I'm not playing WoW, I hit my emulators - MAME, dosbox, anything PS1 or earlier.

I also keep my iMac on 24/7 for Plex or Air Video to stream movies, shows or music to my mobile devices.

That said, what would you recommend? Would a base 15" rMBP fit the bill?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

If you play WoW ... then there aren't any MacBook options for you unless you want to fork out $2,500 for the 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a mid-range dedicated GPU. Anything less than the highest end model has onboard Iris graphics ... which are ... okay for WoW, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. If money is not an option, then be my guest and get the $2,500 MacBook Pro. Or look for a refurbished non-Retina MacBook with a dedicated GPU.

For the amount of money it costs for the high end MBP, you could get a ridiculously powerful Windows laptop, though.