Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I have always been a scaredy-cat about upgrading my Mac OS. I guess it goes back to the old days when upgrading OS 8 would stop my computer in its tracks for days at a time.

Anyway, I have two old, entry-level PPC computers -- a 1.2/256 RAM G4 iBook and a Mini with pretty much the exact same specs. The iBook seems to run Tiger not too terribly (I never use Dashboard), but I've always run Panther on the Mini.

I'm finally ready to use the Tiger install disk the Mini came with so I can use Tiger-native programs, but I don't know whether to do a minimally invasive install or just wipe everything and start clean. What would you suggest to the glitch-prone upgrader? :eek:

nineteentwelve

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Shrewsbury, UK
I have always been a scaredy-cat about upgrading my Mac OS. I guess it goes back to the old days when upgrading OS 8 would stop my computer in its tracks for days at a time.

Anyway, I have two old, entry-level PPC computers -- a 1.2/256 RAM G4 iBook and a Mini with pretty much the exact same specs. The iBook seems to run Tiger not too terribly (I never use Dashboard), but I've always run Panther on the Mini.

I'm finally ready to use the Tiger install disk the Mini came with so I can use Tiger-native programs, but I don't know whether to do a minimally invasive install or just wipe everything and start clean. What would you suggest to the glitch-prone upgrader? :eek:

Personally, I would go for an erase and install (backing up first, of course). But if you are worried, the pure upgrade path would be your best bet.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple upgrade. I've been doing it that way for 15 years without a single problem.
Take the easy way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.