Most Wanted Mac OS X Features

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guzhogi, May 6, 2008.

1. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Just wondering what features you guys want in the next version of the Mac OS (10.6? 11? Whatever Apple brings out after 10.5). Here's my list:

-Integrated software installer/uninstaller/updater. Something Installer.app, Software update, plus something that uninstalls applications, all rolled into one. For the installer, use it for CD/DVD-ROM installs as well as stuff from the internet. Plus, be able to browse for new software w/ it online so you can buy software, download it, and install it. Plus, an option where you can see all apps, just apps where the computer you're on meets the minimum requirements, and just apps where you meet the suggested requirements.

For the software update part, update ALL the apps, plug-ins, etc. you have, not just Apple software.

For the uninstaller, choose what apps you want to get rid of and it gets rid of it & any other extras (preferences, Application Support stuff, etc.). But if it installs stuff that's shared by a bunch of apps, only remove that stuff if no other software needs it. Also, it should have the option to uninstall bundles, like MS Office, or just specific apps like Word or whatever.

-ANother feature I'd like is have the installer receipt, Spotlight plug-in, and Quicklook-plug-in rolled into one thing. That way, it could tell what the default file permissions are (good for repairing disk permissions), looking for a specific kind of file and see if that's the file you want. Plus, add where to look for updates for that app, for software update (from the previous feature).

-ZFS Support. HFS is getting old. 'nuff said.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

See AppFresh

3. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I'd like to see Apple finally get a handle on the window management. I have always wanted my finder windows and dialogue boxes to open up in the same way I left them the last time I opened them up. I know this is possible, but for some reason it only bugs me I guess as it's never fixed.

I'd also like for .Mac syncing to work reliably and for the entire sync interface to be straightened out as it makes no sense at present and fails randomly all the time.

Along the same lines, the preference panes for sharing and security could use the attention of someone who knows how to lay things out with some kind of logic. ;)

4. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Button to show desktop

Cut in Finder context menu, not just copy

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

the only thing that really bugs me is not having a "true" cut and paste type feature. what a pain it is to copy files from my downloads folder to another location and then go back and delete it from my downloads. wtf!!

7. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I'd like to see "Back To My Mac" actually work as advertised.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

F11?

All I want is full exchange support for mail/ical/address book.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You really should have titled your thread "Most wanted Windows features".

Aren't we done with this already, my gosh, is there ever anything that the Mac does better that you wish MS would do in Windows? Is there ever anything that you find Windows does retarded that makes sense on the Mac? Sometimes I just really wonder why are some you using a Macintosh when it seems that you were perfectly happy with the way Microsoft designed their OS. I would never leave an operating system if I was happy the way it ran. :p
    So far only posts 3,7,8 are the ones that really want improvement to the system rather than see it copy features from...the other OS.

10. Laco macrumors 6502

haha this may sound stupid....but when searching in spotlight i want to be able to add columns so i can sort results in this way. I specifically want to add the column "size". This is the only thing that bothers me in OS X.
    The funny thing is I thought this was possible in OS X because it is possible in windows so i kept on trying and trying to do it until someone told me that it was not possible.

11. zerohp macrumors member

I want Apple to borrow everything from dpkg and apt.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Expose and no.

13. PHX-Locksmith macrumors newbie

PHX-Locksmith

My Most Wanted Feature

You know, what I want, isn't really asking much at all. All I want is to have the Month, Date, and Year, displayed to the left of the Day of the week in the top of the "finder bar", is what I'll call it for lack of better terminology. I just can't stand how you have to click and hold above the Day of the week to see the actual Date, Month, and Year. Yes I know that there's iCal, and even the Calendar widget, but hey, I just want to be able to look up and see that its Wed May 5, 2008, 12:22 PM:D not just Wed May 12:22 PM:mad:

Attached Files:

14. spooky mulder macrumors regular

i use istat menu, have you ever tried that?

15. chuckiehina macrumors member

As long as we are wishing

Bring back Classic support...

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The fact that all Intel Macs (providing they have at least 1GB RAM) can run SheepShaver pretty well kinda negates from this need.

17. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well it's not most wanted but that whole "Drag items to the dock to make a stack" thing would be nice.

Oh and more customizability - people love that.

Umm here's one. How about an integrated download tool that unifies ALL application download functions.

So, for example, Safari, iChat, Adium, Skype, FireFox, etc. etc. all use one download box. Each of these apps have one built in, but how great would it be to have one unified one that downloads the files from all of these apps in one window? Just a passing thought but it would be a nice feature to consider. There have been numerous times when I've been downloading things in Safari, FireFox, Skype and Adium, and not only to these boxes get tricky to find, they also take up desktop room and exposé space. It would be nice to have a single, unified one that shows ALL your downloads with information on which app it's transferring through, who or where it's coming from and where it's saving.
    Would be nice :)

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Bring on 10.6!!

1 Resolution Independence! I want to view my desktop on a projected 10ft screen.

2. ZFS- I want Terabytes of pooled storage

3. Fibre Channel built in (4GBs) ..just cuz I want it.

4. Xcode 4 with LLVM 2.5, and Clang

5. Universal uninstaller and Updater

6. Storage Virtualization

7. iSCSI Initiator

8. Quartz GL Extreme

9. Totally revamped scripting ...legacy Applescript support but way more modern.

10. Open GL 3.0

19. PHX-Locksmith macrumors newbie

PHX-Locksmith

Thanks!

Hey, that does look like a nifty 3rd party app. I googled "istat menu", and came across this link http://www.tuaw.com/photos/istat-menus-performance-in-your-menubar/246576/ , that has a gallery of some screen shots of the actual program. I like the fact that it gives you the option to display a Calendar icon thats right in the menu bar. I think I'll be giving it a try! Thanks for replying:apple:

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I would like Apple to create Automator for dummies. It's still complicated for the experienced Mac user.

21. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

What's wrong with wanting something good from Windows on a Mac?

---

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I don't think it is. Customizable delay for Spaces to switch when you drag a window to the side. Just half a second quicker and I'd be content.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Personally, I don't think there's really anything "good" on Windows. I just sometimes wonder do people ever want Windows to run the Mac way? I'm beginning to feel that new Mac users feel windows is perfect and it's the Mac that lacks features. There are so many Mac features and it just seems like there's no satisfying anyone.

23. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well, it's not really that but it only appeals to certain people trying to do tasks; tasks which most users would only really want to do once or twice.

What Apple needs to do is try and make it more flexible in what it can do. While the "record" button is a step towards it, it doesn't work amazingly and requires the mouse to move to do it. What should really happen is that the automator remembers what was pressed in which application and then repeat that in the background.

At the moment, I don't use automator for anything other than running a custom workflow I made (with help from some people on MacRumors) to backup my Memory stick. Not because I don't need things automating, but because Automator won't perform the procedures I do regularly, up to one hundred times on some days (ie. Getting the noise profile from the first 2.0 seconds of an MP3 file in audacity, selecting the rest of the file, removing the noise, normalizing and saving). If Apple made Automator more powerful yet more user friendly, it would be a REAL time saver if it could do this for me... and I'm sure the power would be beneficial for MANY other people. At the moment it just feels like a developer app.

It would also be nice if Apple could make it so that when you run a workflow, the entire window collapses into a smaller window as to not take up screen space. Currently, Automator kinda gets in the way when you're doing simple tasks. I know Spaces takes good care of this but still... it's nice to see what's going on with your workflow.

I think there's a way to change it in terminal.

24. portent macrumors 6502a

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is the kind of thing that Applescript is good for.