Most worthwhile apps you have purchased

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by KatanaAzul, May 10, 2010.

1. KatanaAzul macrumors member

We've seen the thread for most disappointing iPad app purchases, but I'd like to know which ones have been the most useful and worth it to you, and above all, which apps you would recommend purchasing/downloading.

2. fishepa macrumors regular

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Atomic Web Browser - Ok, sure, it looks like crap, but it gets the job done. It is much more like a desktop browsing experience than on a mobile device. Built in ad-blocking is pleasant, but I would like to see a per-site removal of adblocking, as I like to support my favourites.

Pinball HD - This is just an amazing game. Wonderful graphics, 3 great tables and awesome physics. I find myself playing this all the time. For only $2.99 it's a complete bargain.

I've bought a couple of dozen Apps and these two are by far the best I've got and the ones I get the most use out of. I actually use a couple of free Apps more often (Solitaire & BBC News) but these two are definitely 5*.

One I really want to buy, but would like to read a real review (never sure whether to trust App Store reviews) is MyNetDiary. It looks good, and the website is good, but at $10 it's a bit steep for a whimsical purchase, especially as I've already spent a good $120 on Apps since I got this thing!

4. gillybean macrumors 6502a

The apps that have been the most useful to me:

GoodReader - it's now holding a ton of my PDFs, and whenever I need to upload some files (e.g. photos, documents) quickly to the iPad it's good for that.

LogMeIn Ignition - very useful to be able to access my home desktop from anywhere via the iPad and 3g.

AirVideo - Lets me stream any videos from my home desktop to the iPad, works very well.

5. bunger macrumors 6502

My Short List:

The Early Edition: obsoletes having to check NYT, WJS, USA Today and my usual websites. Very well done and expecting an imminent update to support Google Reader

Twitterific: I really like the integration for view links in feeds

Games: Geometry Wars, NFS Shift, N.O.V.A. HD

For Remote: LogMeIn Ignition ( though quite pricey )

For Office: Office2 HD - solid integration with Google Docs, iDisk, and any other Webdav-enabled source

Weather: Weather Channel and Radar Scope

6. caubeck macrumors 6502

Pleco dictionary.

Office2 HD was a necessary purchase because I had no other way to work on an urgent document at the time. However, it's too limited for my future needs and I'm waiting for Documents to Go. Downloader and GoodReader have been extremely useful. Soundhound has been useful a few times and some games are fun, such as the one about the New York rollercoaster and Let's Golf.

I hope a lot of my most important apps get the HD treatment. I won't be buying a new version of the expensive ones, such as the Deluxe Oxford dictionary and the Collins English-Spanish. I have little hope they'll make it to the big screen without involving a premium, however.

If they fix everything bad about Pages it may shoot to the top of my favorites list.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I was already a Fieldrunners addict, so it was an easy sell for me to buy the iPad version, and it does look really good on the big screen.

8. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

words with friends HD. amazing scrabble like game.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Words with Friends
    Flight Control HD
    ABC
    Yahoo Entertainment- great TV listings
    Netflix

10. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Goodreader - Just the fact I can view almost any kind of doc and transfer files via iTunes USB for makes this one of my most used apps.

Omigraffle - $50 but it's like having Visio on my iPad. I've made professional looking flowcharts on the fly with this thing.

Other than those, the best apps on my iPad are free - Kayak Flights, the Amazon app, ETrade, ABC Player, etc

11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Air video - movies in bed.

Netflix - more movies in bed.

Harbor master - addicting.

Godfinger - addicting.

Imdb - no more questions when watching a movie trying to figure out what they've been in before.

Dragon dictation - you speak it types.

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Air Video. Rock solid.

Comic Zeal - it doesn't have much competition but that doesn't stop it from being a well-rounded cbr/cbz comic reader.

And of course the best 99c app since Goodreader: Atomic Browser.

13. jb32828 macrumors newbie

Numbers - it is so much easiee to do a chart or graph in Numbers than it is in Excel. I find myself when i need to put in charts etc i mail it to my ipad and do the work in Numbers.

Jump Desktop is invaluable and works very well for remote desktop and server administration.

Acrobits SIP phone is worth every penny. It works fantastic over a 3g connection. I tested it while driving, dialed a number got on the highway, and talked for 13 miles at 75 mph and amazingly didnt drop the call although there was some echo and jitter when switching towers.

GoSkyWatch has been awesome for me in my amateur astronomy efforts.

Art Studio rocks. For 99 cents that was a steal.

14. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

X-Plane, the best flight simulator, and the iPad version is packed with planes. A great way to fly off some steam, and also to show off the iPad.

15. iRabbit macrumors 6502

WritePad... Am amazed by the good handwriting recognition.

GhostWriter and NoteTaker HD... I'm torn between which i like better for handwritten note taking.

SkyGrid... What a great way to get the latest news!

SketchBook Pro... Awesome drawing app.

FTPtoGo... Lets me connect to websites and make HTML changes if needed!

Camera for iPad... Okay, so it's a little slow, but I love that it lets me almost instantly take a photo on my iphone and have it show up on my iPad.

And Atomic Web. I use it for 99% of my web browsing. Love the tabs and lack of constant reloading.