Most you've ever paid for a textbook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wordmunger, Jul 22, 2008.

?

What's the most you've ever paid for a textbook?

1. I've never paid for a textbook

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. $1-$50

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. $51-$100

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. $101-$150

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. $151-$200

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  6. $201-$300

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. Over $300

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just bought my daughter's textbooks for next year. Her pre-calculus textbook cost $173! Back when I was in college, $73 was an expensive book.

What's the most you've ever paid for a single textbook?

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

uh my book for my java class cost $250......i didn't have to use it until the next java class.

3. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yikes! I can remember when tuition was less than that!

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i've bought a $230 book, or something like that

5. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

6. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Probably the equivalent of $120. It seems that University is cheaper here in more than one respect.

8. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i paid well over a hundred bucks a few times for textbooks, but amazon sure saved my bacon more than once. one time, i got the 'new' biochemistry book for 1/3 of the bookstore price at the site because the bookstore had no used books and amazon.com did. don't remember paying more than 200 bucks for one though.

9. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

For Pre-Cal...really?
    ...and it was probably a first year being published, so there were no used ones?

For my upper level courses...they were $180+

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

I think $250ish for an anatomy text (it was a custom package BS deal). the prof was a jackass and i ended up dropping the class after the second day anyway so i got a refund for them..i shoulda been able to tell from the way he absolutely demanded we get the latest edition and only the specially packaged set vs. buying a used one online. Sigh.

In comparison, I have had one prof for a psych class that let us use *any* edition of the textbook she wanted, kept notes on the differences between the last three editions or so so we didn't have to figure it out for ourselves, and even offered to buy the text for anyone who couldn't afford it. The two/three-edition old texts were going for $5-10 on Amazon. Now she was awesome.

11. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Now that is amazing. I've never heard of any prof's doing this. WOW. Props to her, for being so amazing to those that need it most.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

It was at a community college though. But she admitted that even at $5-10 shipped for the used books, some wouldn't be able to afford it (that's enough to feed a family for a day or two, arguably). And well, she did a great job pointing out the differences between the editions..mostly page numbering and questions mixed around. Her argument was that social psych didn't change enough in 5 years to justify spending 10x on a newer edition, and whatever major changes we should be aware of she'd teach to us personally instead of having us spend that much more money on it.

She is right though. Textbooks are a huge scam. Editions are a huge scam. Not many subjects change so much in such a short time. I will never understand why the hell this is permitted to go on as long as it has :(

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

$180 for a high school U.S. history class for sophomore year, and that book really sucked. The most for this coming year (my senior year) was a $108 United States History AP textbook and $118 for a Statistics AP textbook. All books were bought new.

14. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I'm still in high school so I only have to pay for a textbook if I damage it. :)

15. tsvb macrumors 6502

My favorite was the book for Environmental and Natural Resource Economics. It's cost me $125, I never opened it and the bookstore wouldn't buy it back because there was a new version out the next semester.

16. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Lucky. Im going into high school and I have to buy all my books. :/

17. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

good thing...only, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.

18. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I think the books are a scam...you're already paying so much for the course, why couldn't the book cost be rolled in some how?

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Truth. In the Fall of '07, I was forced to buy my French text new from the University bookstore (it was a custom package deal, not available used online). I paid about ~$120 for it, since it was a new edition and no used copies were available. The book was used for two classes though, so it wasn't so bad (I thought). When I went back to the bookstore to sell it back in the spring, they told me they weren't buying used copies because they were going to sell a new edition the next fall. Ridiculous. Over the course of one year, my bookstore was selling a newer edition.

That said, ~$120 is the most I've paid for a textbook. One for a custom math book, and that French package. I buy all of my books used on Amazon unless I'm forced to do so otherwise. With the 18 books I need for next semester, I am saving so much money buying them used through Amazon Marketplace.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The most expensive text I had to pay for in university was the Advanced Telecommunications Handbook which cost $345. My Engineering, Science, Comp Sci and Calculus texts were all expensive, but that one definitely took home the award. ;)

21. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I think www.half.com is a great textbook resource if it's been out for more than 6 months. :D

22. Neo110503 macrumors regular

I think it was between my Psych books and my Chem book. I didn't use either and only got about half of what i spent back.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hate that trend. just glad i didnt have to pay for books in hs

mine was 280....and the prof wrote the book. really thin book too, wtf lol. all my engineering courses hovered around 90-160/book

24. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, even if they were, you'd still be paying for it with higher tuition or higher taxes. They're sure expensive, no question about it. I used to work for a textbook company and I've also written textbooks, so I know a bit about the business, but some of these prices still seem pretty extreme to me.

Yep, a brand-new text. In fact it's not even available yet, so they might not have it for the first day of class.