Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckeyes15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Ok, need to make one thing clear first, I purchased my iPhone in Columbus, Ohio but am now studying abroad in Wiesbaden, Germany until January, so I definitely need some help with this issue.

I was in Munich this past weekend for Oktoberfest. Mother nature decided to let loose one of the heaviest rains I've ever been in my entire life. I have my iPhone with me but am only using it as an mp3 player for my time here and it's been in Airplane mode since I left the country a month ago. It rained so hard that water soaked my jeans and my iPhone inside my pocket.

The water mark never showed up. What I've noticed is corrosion in my iPhone dock. This was not noticed until Saturday evening. I'll try and be quick with this description of everything. So, after going out to a bar to get out of the rain on Friday night, I never really used my iPhone other than to check the time. Yea the back of my case on my iPhone was a little wet, but the screen and everything else seemed perfectly fine until I started to head back to the hotel. The first problem that arose was my screen would automatically turn on (even if I turned off my iPhone) and this message would show up (I've attached a picture as well):

This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone
You may experience noise caused by cellular interference and a decrease in cellular signal strength.

Obviously, I became worried. Especially since the phone is in Airport mode and isn't able to receive any cellular signal. I don't even have my microSIM in the iPhone because I don't want to risk picking up any roaming charges. I'm just trying to be safe about that. So since the iPhone wouldn't turn off w/o it turning back on and this message popping up, I simply plugged it in to my laptop I had with me to charge it for the night, figuring that maybe having it plugged in and charging would possibly solve any problem.

When I plugged my iPhone into my laptop to try and load some photos up online from the day, it wouldn't connect. I have tried multiple times to connect the iPhone to my laptop and it won't work. When I got back in Wiesbaden on Monday, I tried plugging into my roommates laptop and it wouldn't connect. It's not an issue with my Macbook Pro or the cord, the problem is definitely with the iPhone. I have noticed corrosion in the iPhone dock and I'm certain that's definitely a major issue.

I can't contact Apple Support back in the States (they only accept calls from North American numbers). If i want to contact Apple Support here, an entire phone call describing my problem and figuring out a solution would cost a fortune on my prepaid phone (Apple Care here in Germany charges me 42 Euro cents per minute, and then I'm charge 15 Euro cents each minute by my carrier O2). So, I can't (won't) call them here. I went to the T-Mobile store here in my city and I was told if I wanted to repair anything, I'd have to pay 235 EUR to fix the problem (my iPhone cost just over $200 back home, I'm not paying the equivalent of $300 here for them to repair the phone). There isn't an Apple store anywhere near me from my understanding.

Basically, I'm in a bit of a pickle and I need some help/advice/guidance/whatever. I personally can't live w/o music when I'm traveling on weekends here and I love using my iPhone as an mp3 player, especially since WIFI seems to be pretty prevalent wherever I have been. I don't see the wise decision in purchasing an mp3 player here if I can get this repaired/replaced for a reasonable price.

I know Apple doesn't support water damage (be it accidental, on purpose, or by force of mother nature) and I'm still under factory warranty, so please, I just need some help trying to get this taken care of. If any one has any advice on what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for anything. I apologize for the long post but I needed to explain everything clearly. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.PNG
    IMG_0031.PNG
    885.3 KB · Views: 73

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Eh... sorry bud but there isn't anything you can do about it besides get a new phone. I've had that happen to three of my iPhones and the only thing you can do is switch em out. I'm an Apple employee and I can't fix it. Sorry bud.

buckeyes15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Eh... sorry bud but there isn't anything you can do about it besides get a new phone. I've had that happen to three of my iPhones and the only thing you can do is switch em out. I'm an Apple employee and I can't fix it. Sorry bud.

When you say the only thing left is to get a new one, does that mean I only have to pay for the new iPhone? I hope I don't have to pay a fee that involves voiding my contract with AT&T because I know that can be really expensive. I don't really have a problem with purchasing a new one as long as I'm only paying for the phone and not some penalty fee

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
When you say the only thing left is to get a new one, does that mean I only have to pay for the new iPhone? I hope I don't have to pay a fee that involves voiding my contract with AT&T because I know that can be really expensive. I don't really have a problem with purchasing a new one as long as I'm only paying for the phone and not some penalty fee

You actually only have to pay $199 for an out of warranty replacement (due to water damage).

buckeyes15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
You actually only have to pay $199 for an out of warranty replacement (due to water damage).

Whew! That's a relief. I was really worried I'd have to pay some extra fee. I found out today here in Germany it would be the equivalent of $300+ for me to get a replacement. Thanks very much for the help. Now to send it home to my parents so they can hopefully take care of this back home and I'll have an iPhone waiting for me when I get back in a few months.

Again, thanks for the help, really appreciate it as I felt like I was being spun in circles about this over here in Germany.

Gadgetgeezer

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
Any good repairer should be able to sort that for you. It's just finding one near to you. Sorry, but I am in the UK.

Cheers

Spencer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.