mother of all crashes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pjutlanut, Jun 7, 2012.

1. pjutlanut macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3GS has just crashed beyond what I thought a crash could be. It fails in all sorts of random ways, such as:

1) frequently, but randomly restarting itself (it never stays on more than a minute or two)
    2) not recieving text, not sure if it sends texts (it spends a lot of time trying, and then restarts before it is done)
    3) does not recieve calls, even it I get a ring tone on the phone I'm calling with - my iPhone seems oblivious..
    4) does not make calls - that it pretends to, the screen come up and all, but when I answer the call it makes, there is no contact.

It is a 3GS, and I've reclined the latest offers on upgrades, as i thought the 3GS would have trouble dealing with iPhone 4 software. I am completely lost, and getting a bit desperate to get it to work again! Any tips out there?
    Thanks so much for your help!:)

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

You don't say which version of iOS you have on your iPhone?

My daughter uses my old 3GS and I recently upgraded it for her to the latest available iOS - 5.1.1.

Her 3GS works just fine with this version and so I would recommend you upgrading to this. It certainly won't be any worse than what you are currently experiencing and will hopefully resolve your issues. Just make sure to perform a sync/backup before you upgrade the OS. You can do this all through iTunes.

Good luck!

RTP.

3. Goldmemeber macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if anyone has encountered this problem with Iphone 4 but I am experiencing sever Iphone crashes.

Symptoms:

- Unlock screen won't respond,
    - Apps freeze after launching (especially maps, navigation),
    - Can't answer calls,
    - Can't hung up calls,

Sometimes these symptoms last from couple of minutes to three or four hours! So I can't really rely on the phone.

I've tried the following:

- Hard reset (many many times) - didn't help
    - Restore (restore from back up) - didn't help
    - Restore (set up new Iphone) - didn't help (sometimes the phone was unresponsive during initial setup before I could restore anything from backup)
    - I completely turned off overnight, and in the morning when I turned it on the phone started to work again, but after thirty minutes or so symptoms were coming back again.

The phone has never been hacked and it is factory unlocked.

Any Idea?