MotherBoard Diagnostic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOD.and.OP, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MOD.and.OP macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing a variety of problems with my peripheral devices. At first it started with my monitor and I thought it was going out... it was having lines (darker lines, like flickering) all over the screen... but then I realized this happened when I plugged something into my computer... so for example if my external monitor is on, and I plug in my firewire soundcard it starts to flickr...

Then it started to do it when I would plug in my printer... now if I plug in my firewire soundcard my monitor turns on and off... and I'm having sync issues with my soundcard.

I wiped my computer, reset the SMC and the PRAM and NVRAM. How do I test if my mother board is crapping out?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You can run Apple hardware test. If your logic board is super failing, that will catch it. It should be on the second restore CD you got with your computer.

Also, what graphics card do you have? Go to graphics in system profiler from about this mac and more info on the Apple menu.

It might be recalled for a failure of the graphics card if it's the nvidia 8600.

If not it could just be interference, or an abstract failure.
    If worse comes to worst, you could always take it to the genius bar.

3. MOD.and.OP thread starter macrumors newbie

Shoot I lost my install discs a while ago. I gotta call apple and get some replacement ones.

I have the Nvidia Geforce 9400M.

There's all these little problems starting to pile up. Very weird. For example earlier today when I booted up my comp my screen kinda flickered. I need to run that test asap.

If anyone has the hardware test available let me know. I have this MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2009
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.49f2