Motherboard failure - symptoms?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gocoop, Aug 24, 2009.

1. gocoop macrumors newbie

Hi guys; this is my first post.

I have a MBP Santa Rosa (late 2007) with 2.2 C2D, LED display and that infamous NVIDIA 8600 GT M.

Last week, i tried to wake it up from sleep and the display was dead; i could hear the computer working, but the display stopped working. I tried force reset, PRAM reset, almost everything but there was nothing; you can hear the start up sound and everything, but the display shows nothing (however, the sleep light was on)

I've taken it to my Apple dealer (not official) and they have told me that there is a motherboard problem and that it needs to be replaced. The price left me speechless, almost half more than a new model costs. Is there any way I can avoid this?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you don't mind voiding your warranty (which seems you may not have one now) then iFixit.com + eBay for a new logic board may be your only hope. Generally, when a logic board fails out of warranty it is most likely going to result in a high price tag. I would simply let them diagnose it, sell it for parts and buy new.

It sucks, I wish the price to repair wasn't so high.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

That sounds like a failed video card take it to apple they should replace the motherboard if it is under 3 years old.

4. gocoop thread starter macrumors newbie

False alarm after all :D

I've contacted the official dealer for my country and few minutes later, the repair shop I had left my Mac told me that they would repair it for no charge after all. Just two or three weeks without my Mac then, but ad least it's free.

Thanks for your support!

5. couea, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

couea macrumors newbie

hi guys, i had the same thing happened to my MBP. same model i guess, since i bought it in August '08, exactly a month before the unibody came out. so, about my MBP :
    1) i tried to wake it up from sleep and the display was dead; as well
    2) i could hear the computer working (probably the cooling fan), but the display never turned on.
    3) I tried force reset, PRAM reset, almost everything but there was nothing; you can hear the start up sound and everything, but the display shows nothing (however, the sleep light was on) too

except that
    4) if i left my mac turned on for like half an hour or more, the sounds got noisier & the body get really heated..
    & 5) its 2 years old now, & got no extended warranty

so, is this problem really has something to do with the motherboard? cos, how do i tell? i haven't brought my mac to any service centre yet, since it'll cost me more than half the original price if it really is a motherboard issue.

i quoted from some forum, of RM2700++ plus RM300++** for diagnosis. (im from Malaysia)
    **that'll be like a total of USD1000++

so, i was wondering, what exactly did u mention to the apple dealer, gocoop?

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

lol :rolleyes: its the video card. take it to be repaired. Apple will cover this without warranty. Or they should..

7. couea macrumors newbie

so, how much roughly does it cost for a video card replacement/repair? (incase) im not sure if the policy for apple service care in US would be the same around here.. since diagnosing already costed for USD100

i shud go for the applecare plan.. really hope its not the motherboard.

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

This is a known issue with a class action lawsuit in the us. You should definitely not have to pay for this repair if taken to an apple service center. It looks like its a little over $300 to replace if there is no water damage to the board.