Motherboard or RAM issue? Need help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mariobro86, Dec 30, 2010.

1. mariobro86 macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I just got a new Macbook Pro 13" a couple of months ago and lately I've noticed it to be freezing and crashing randomly. But more often than not, the issues sprang up when I tried to run Apple Software Update, or browse the web with Safari, or do anything resource intensive such as installing large applications (i.e. Microsoft Office). At first, I thought it was an OS X issue so I attempted to reformat the laptop. The reinstallation of OS X failed immediately, as in I would literally get an "Installation Failed" error. I retried a couple of times but no success. Thinking it was a DVD issue, I burned the files from the DVD onto a USB flash drive and attempted the reinstallation that way. Still, no success. So I started thinking it was a hard drive issue. I ran Disk Utility and verified the drive but it passed the test. So I thought this was all a memory issue.

Here's where things get weird. With both memory sticks, I could not complete the installation of OS X. But with only one memory stick installed, I was able to set up the OS successfully. So I figured, okay, one of my RAM sticks is bad. I wanted to verify this so I installed TechTool Deluxe. I reinstalled both RAM sticks and tested them with TechTool, and as I suspected, the test failed. So I decided to test them one at a time... and noticed that both modules passed the test individually... So now, I'm not so sure if it's a RAM issue. To be sure, I tested them on different slots, vice versa, and so forth, and so long as I only had one RAM stick installed the test would always pass, whereas with two sticks the test always fails.

It can't be a motherboard issue, right? Because the RAM test would pass regardless of which slot I inserted the module so long as only one was installed at a time. And is it really a RAM issue then? As I've said before, both modules passed the test individually...

I'm willing to buy a new RAM stick (as I can't wait for RMA) but I want to be 100% this is the issue so I don't end up wasting money. If it's a motherboard problem, then I'll consider RMA... Help much appreciated!!! :(
  2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Gone to the Beach
    No need to buy anything. Bring it back to an Apple store. If it is only a few months old, you're covered.
  3. mrbash macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2008
    Macs are very finicky about memory. Best to bring it into the Apple store and let them diagnose it.
  4. MacTribe macrumors member

Dec 26, 2010