Motherboard Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nitro1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am getting a Mac Pro from 2008 with 2XQuad core 2.88Ghz processor's and i am trying to figure out what the read and write speeds are on the motherboard. So if i get a high end SSD will it be possible to actually write at the SSD max speed???

Thanks

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

With existing drives, yes. As the newer ones come out, NO, as the '08's are only capable of 3.0Gb/s. You'd need a 6.0Gb/s card or go with a PCIe based flash drive to exceed what the current line of SSD's can do.

It does actually, but more to do with the CPU & chipset (SATA spec used as well as the means of connecting the chipset to the CPU).

In the case of the '09 systems, there's the real potential for problems with SSD's due to the throttling issue (all ports limited to ~660MB/s). QPI is used to attach the chipset to the CPU on the '09 MP systems.

But that's not the case on the '08 MP's, as it's DMI used to connect the chipset to the CPU for HDD data. The throttling issue doesn't exist on these. :)

And I wouldn't touch that Highpoint card, as most of their stuff is junk (save the RR43xx line).

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So if i were to get a SSD that had read times at 250Mb/S and write times at 150Mb/s the motherboard and all the connector's can keep up????

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes.

Check the other thread you started, as I posted the limits of what 3.0Gb/s SATA are.

But it can take a sustained throughput of 250MB/s for reads (certainly anything slower). Now the newer drives that exceed that, will throttle (but still actually work). But to get full throughput, you'd need a 6.0Gb/s SATA card to do so.

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks that will really help when i am running pro tools.