motherboard swap - possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickobockaglory, May 28, 2011.

1. nickobockaglory macrumors newbie

i haven't had much luck recently with my iphone 4..
    firstly i bought it on pay and go so i could sell it eventually and not be bound to a contract, i denied insurance at the shop as i was going to look online and then never got around to it. i've had it for about 10 months, and not a problem. early this week i dropped it while it wasn't in the bumper and the glass cracked, but not enough to damage the touch screen and it wasn't too bad either, so i kept using it. then a couple days ago i dropped it in a lake and it sat there for a couple days, then i got it out. it's also fallen in a toilet and a bucket of water and has never had any problems from those. since it's taken a nap in a lake i've had some problems getting it going again. it synced with itunes after a reset and restore, everything was working fine until the backlight to the screen went, then i found out the speaker and microphone don't work either.
    seeing as i have no insurance i've come up with a plan..
    let me know if you think this will work..

buy an iphone off ebay with a software problem, take the motherboard out and put my working one in. does that work??? then sell the completely broken iphone to one of those "we buy your mobile phone" to get some cash for it. is this the greatest plan ever or just dumb??? worth a try right?

2. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

Hey!
    Firstly, how does your iPhone sit at the bottom of a lake...for a few days? I'm very surprised it works, considering the water damage. The iPhone is NOT waterproof.

Secondly, I'd try taking it to an Apple store, as everyone Apple device gets 1 year warranty, however it doesn't cover accidental damage. I'd just take it in and act dumb and see if they exchange it for you.

As another idea, you could always get the headphones with the microphone on them. That would solve the speaker/microphone problem. Which speaker isn't working...the one you use for calls, or the loudspeaker?

Good luck

3. nickobockaglory thread starter macrumors newbie

i dropped in about 1m of water, but it was too murky to see, so i went back a couple days later when it was clear and got it out. then i dissembled all the inside components, motherboard etc and put it in rice and a warm place for a day. then reassembled it and turned it on and it just needed a reset and resort. then the backlight went and the microphone/speaker, from what i can tell both speakers aren't working.
    it's previously been dropped in a toilet and a bucket of water, by accident both times, and has never had any problems. i know people have had a lot of problems with water damage but my phone has definitely held up until now.

but swapping the mother board with a phone that has a software error could work do you reckon??

4. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure there'd be too much acting involved.