Motherboard Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jester2k USAF, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. Jester2k USAF macrumors newbie

    Jester2k USAF

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #1
    Would it be possible to upgrade the motherboard in a MB063LL/A (May 15 2007 model) to the motherboard of a MB404LL/A (current model)?

    Basically I want to buy the MB404LL/A motherboard and put it in the MB063LL/A. I want the GMA X3100 Chip and the support for additional RAM, but I really do not want to buy a whole new mackbook. I figured this would be a cheaper way to "upgrade". I am aware that this would void the wareenty (almost up anyway). I have the tools to take apart the macbook I just don't know what a motherboard swap would intail. Thanks.
     
  2. logana macrumors 65816

    logana

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #2
    It can be done but seriously it would be cheaper to sell your current MacBook and buy a newer model.

    You will need a new bottom case, speakers, bluetooth board and probably a new heatsink and fan.

    Not a simple job - and not really cost-effective unless your current logicboard is shot or something....

    Saying that if you can source the parts fairly cheaply then you should be able to sell your own parts for maybe 75% of the total cost...

    You might get away with a net cost of $200-250 with luck
     
  3. Jester2k USAF thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jester2k USAF

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #3
    I'm gonna go with "no" then. I thought it would be just a simple swap, but apparently not. Thanks for the answer. I guess I will wait for Oct. 14th. I'll sell this one and get the new one.
     
  4. logana macrumors 65816

    logana

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #4
    I would agree - the other problem of curse is that it is a blackbook - the motherboards include the usb ports and they are colored black and white dependent on case colors.

    Also, if you did go ahead with it I don't think the resale value would be much....

    Wait for the new ones and then sell yours....cheaper in the long run
     
  5. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    #5
    My logic board is dead, and is past warranty, can I upgrade it from the 2.16ghz nonpenryn nonsantarosa core 2 duo to a penryn or santa rosa? My guess is the safer one is the santa rosa?

    Are there detailed instructions?

    I am able to do this probably, and I do realize its not exactly a walk in the park to upgrade. But since my logic board is dead, it would be OK?
     
  6. Jester2k USAF thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jester2k USAF

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #6
    I called iFixit as they sell the logic boards and the answer was no. You cannot upgrade to santarosa or penyrn due to the other hardware not being compatible with those boards. Like logana said you would have to replace a lot more than the logic board. Course I spilled water on mine this weekend loosing 3 hours of work and spent 2 hours at the apple store getting a new black book. Couldn't wait till the 14th :(
     

Share This Page