Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I am trying to build a new computer (my first built computer ever) and I am trying to make it with the newset parts. I have decided I will use 1 or probably 2 Quad Core Xeon Harpertown processors but I am having a problem finding a good extreme motherboard. The only one I could find was the Intel D5400XS...

Can someone please point me in the direction of some other alternative (new) motherboards I could use.

Please Help,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
if you wanted the possibility of a hackintosh, research compatibility lists and such on osx86

other than that, its pretty open to what you get. just make sure the sockets line up and such. go by newegg reviews for sure

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
if you wanted the possibility of a hackintosh, research compatibility lists and such on osx86

other than that, its pretty open to what you get. just make sure the sockets line up and such. go by newegg reviews for sure

What motherboard does the current Mac Pro use?

Let Me Know,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Dual LGA771 sockets, Intel 5400 chipset. If you want to do it right, find a workstation board that uses EFI.

Though, the odds are that if you try and match the specs, quality and warranty, you are going to run almost the same price as a real Mac Pro.
I priced it out at newegg, for about the same specs and quality, I came up with $2933 before tax and shipping. Given, you can build it cheaper, but I tried to get the closest match to a real Mac.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
The Mac Pro, as well as all Macs, uses a custom board designed and built by Apple. The best you can do is to find an ATX board with matching chipsets.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
I see no point in building a Xeon-based Mac Pro... it won't end up being cheaper. If you want to use a Core 2 Quad or ultrafast e8400/8500 Core 2 Duo clocked at ~4 GHz, I could see the merit in that. But otherwise...? They're ultra expensive.. you won't find any cheap Xeon boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.