Mothers' 3GS explodes yesterday

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by The.316, Nov 23, 2013.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

My mom had her 3gs charging yesterday, and when she went to disconnect it from the charger, the back piece pretty much exploded, snapping the back cover I had on it. I understand its an older model, but I would think that this isnt normal lol. She charges/charged it normally, with wires and wall chargers all from Apple, meaning no aftermarket stuff. What should I do? I have an contact with Apple, which I email from time to time when I have some problems, so I thought I should go through her first, before calling Apple. Or should I not even contact them? Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

That is scary. I still have my old iPhones and this makes me wonder if over time they are no longer reliable and things like this may happen.

Try Tim Cook's email.

What back cover did it had?
    Overheated?

3. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

A regular incase back. She doesnt overcharge the phone, only for about an hour when the battery is low. When I had a recurring issue with my imac a few months ago, I emailed Tim Cook, and got a response from one of his assistants the next day. The lady ended up taking care of my iMac, and I have kept in touch with her, so I thought I would go through her first.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Maybe it is better to just go to your local store and see what happens, and then based on what they do you use your contact:
    Inform the issue and thank the store, or inform the issue and ask for help.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Keep us posted. That is not normal, and if you were talking on the phone, you could have been seriously injured.

6. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

So I emailed my contact I have with Apple on Saturday, and she called me back today. Well, she called me yesterday, but I missed the call. I spoke to her about the situation, and she transfered me to a senior technician, to go through some type of safety questionnaire. It was 21 questions long, and some of the questions were about how it exploded, what was it plugged in to, was there any damage to the house or to someone, etc. I could have lied about a few of the answers, and made it seem worse than it really is, but I believe that they will take care of me good enough, so I was honest with all my answers. The technician emailed me her contact info, and told me that if I ever needed anything, I should email her. Now I will receive a call from the original rep sometime tomorrow, with the next step. Whatever happens, I have to say that I have never had this type of product support, ever. Apple's customer support is truly first class in my eyes.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Nice that they take these things seriously as we do.

Don't lie it will always backfire.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's nothing dangerous, it's an expanded/EOL battery. They have an unfortunate habit of doing that (old MacBooks anyone?). They do it as a safety feature.

They will probably (or I hope they do) offer you a replacement at the OOW battery replacement cost, since it's the battery which has failed - which will be about $79 I think.

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes they do swell somewhat, and it is normal, but for a phone, different situation. You hold the device to your face. I wouldn't want to hold a bomb to my face. It's a major safety issue, and also this bulging battery destroyed the phone. Phones shouldn't self destruct.

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Great to hear. Thanks for the sharing this story. Apple truly is in a league of its own when it comes to taking care of its loyal customers. I'm sure they will offer you a 15% discount on a new iPhone 5S or 5C if you want to upgrade.

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I would expect a free upgrade. When I had an extremely problematic iPhone 3G, they ended up replacing it with an iPhone 3GS.

Considering this EXPLODED and is a safety hazard, I would expect a free upgrade to maybe a 4S or something.

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not a bomb, or a safety issue. The battery "expands". It doesn't explode. It's not a "pop". The phone cracks due to slow pressure build up. If it was an explosion - there would be shards everywhere.

So - what would you rather happen? A phone that destroys itself, or a battery which doesn't have this safety feature, and likely catches fire or whatnot due to a chemical problem?

I expected more from an ACMT if your sig is correct. This is all documented in the battery safety training you should have done ;).

Why would you expect a free upgrade? What would be wrong with a phone of the same model?

So, if my car's heating system fails 2 years after the warranty ends, which could be dangerous, but isn't, I should expect a free upgrade to a newer model? Right?

13. ouimetnick, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Explosion or not, not every single battery expands at the end of it's life. I really don't care, but if my phone self destructs, then I have an issue with that.

Also Apple states to replace the swollen battery due to potential safety issues, and replace any components damaged by a swelling battery, but that is common sense. Apple would have brushed the OP off it it was entirely normal. Simply put, it isn't. I've seen plenty of batteries, in fact I see more batteries go out peacefully rather then swelling.

If your car's heating system fails and with out warning takes out the transmission and engine destroying the car, then yes I would expect a replacement car. Again, I usually see batteries just deteriorate with out changing shape.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Maybe you should read up on why they swell. Apple often go above and beyond what's required - it's just luck of the draw I guess. And because you haven't seen it, it's not normal?

There is an article on GSX which explains service policies and whatnot regarding swollen batteries. Check that out, and you'll see what I mean.

15. tateu macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to an old iPhone 3GS and Blackberry 9000 that had been sitting on my desk at work and powered off for months.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Has she notice any bulging, warmer than usual etc a sign of a catastrophic failing battery.

Exploring electronics are real bad press for the company so correctly they took it seriously.

Chinese knockoff chargers could be a cause.

17. CMC1 macrumors newbie

Same story with mine reporting to USPSC. Not going to pay a damn thing to Apple.

Attached Files:

18. Sceptre macrumors member

when a li-ion or li-poly battery is over charged or over discharged, they "puff", 2-5 times their normal size.

Knowing that there is no room in a smartphone for a puffed pack, something had to give. (calling it an "explosion" is completely wrong though).

So which one did she do, cause I have a fully charged 3g with oe battery running Pandora in my garage for several years with zero problems.