Motion 2 on a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iJED DV, Jul 5, 2007.

1. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

Just got a new Macbook Pro on Tuesday and just finished installing Final Cut Studio (not 2) and every time I try to open Motion 2, it gets to the point where it begins loading a new project or template and then crashes. Has anyone else had this problem or know if there's a fix for it?

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

That's odd. I run it without problems on my MacBook Pro C2D. Have you checked Software Update for the latest pro application updates?

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Have you installed the Universal Binary of Motion 2? I think it's version 2.1.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep make sure you are running 2.1.2 of Motion.

5. iJED DV thread starter macrumors member

iJED DV

It occurred to me today as I was driving to work that my version of Final Cut Studio is the PowerPC version.

Is there still a way to upgrade to the Final Cut Studio universal version? I've seen some pages via Google that talked about purchasing an upgrade through Apple, but I can't find anything about it on the Apple site.

6. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I think you're out of luck for getting an Intel copy of Final Cut. I think the cross-grade promotion ended December 2006 (or perhaps was extended and ended March 2007). I would call them though and see what you can get. Maybe over the phone you still have a chance, or can get some sort of deal on FCS2.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You can upgrade from any version of Final Cut Pro (1-4) to Final Cut Studio for $699 or from FCS to FCS2 for $499. See here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=ED83915&nplm=MA886Z/A

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

The same problem exists with Motion 3. It has to do w/ the lastest Macbook Pro update from Apple. See this thread.

I will post another thread to make people aware of the issue.

Cheers
    LaForge

9. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Motion 3 works fine on my 15" SR 2.2GHz after all updates have been applied.

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Sounds good - do you use it a lot ? Do you have 10.4.10 and the Macbook Pro update installed ?

11. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I don't use it a lot for new work. Mostly reusing things that are already done. I do have 10.4.10, the Macbook Pro update as well as all the Pro apps updated.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks for your feedback. It look like you basically have the same setup that I have. I use the 17" high-res but that shouldn't make a difference. I really wonder why Motion 3 keeps on crashing on my system. Sometimes when I just open a template or start using it a little bit. I do have all the Motion files on a external FW 800 LaCie drive. Maybe that is the problem?

13. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I doubt it's the external volume. When I did the installation, I installed all of the large media files (ie. Motion Templates, Audio Loops, etc) on a Maxtor FW 400 external volume. Everything works fine with it. I know that doesn't do anything to solve your problem though.

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Sure - but at least I know that the external volumes shouldn't be the problem.