Motion 3 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dougomite, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dougomite macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro with 10 gb memory Quad-Core Intel Xeon, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. I am an editor for weddings and family projects, who is starting to livin up my projects with motion. I don't have a speed problem using motion, but when I drag a motion file into FCP, the program is exremely slow and gives me the spinball. I never get this problem using FCP with tons of filters and layers. I recently dragged one title into fcp and could barely edit a 10 minute project. Also it took 30 minutes to render! Is there something I need to upgrade to make motion run more smooth? i am worried about adding multiple motion files, which I was intending to do.
    Thanks

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would make sure you Motion project setting match your sequence settings in FCP.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

it is both easier and more reliable to simply export a QT that matches your FCP sequence settings than nesting a Motion project in your sequence...

4. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Yeah that is what I usually do. I export a QT movie and then import it into my FCP project.

5. dougomite thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great advice. Didn't realize you could export QT in Motion, I am a Motion newbie. Thanks for the advice.:eek:

6. sirN macrumors newbie

Doug, have you created any decent photo drop zone templates? I see people selling them and it just seems much easier to make my own. Got any good ones yet?

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I'm just starting out in Motion so I think I am giving you the right advice...

The easiest way to get Motion projects in the FCP timeline is to insert the actual Motion project but the Motion sequence settings have to match the FCP sequence settings.

You can export from Motion into a QT file but if you have any transparency you wish to carry over the only codecs you can use are Animation codec - which will result in enormous files and a constant need for rendering - and ProRes 4444. Reference.

I'm making my way through an Apple text book on motion graphics in FCS (slowly but surely - as soon as I have a coffee I'll get off here and get back to it. honest) and it's very instructive. Chapter 4 is about starting with a FCP sequence with a .motn project embedded, editing it in Motion and putting in drop zones and then back to FCP again.

8. dougomite thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure my settings in motion were the same as my FCP settings. If they were slightly off, would this effect it that much?

I havent created any drop zones yet, I usually just keyframe my photo montages in FCP. Does anyone else out there know of any photo drop zone template apps?

:D

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

OH YEAH!

Not only will it effect the way it looks, the way it renders, but it will effect playback big time. I can playback an unedited Motion clip in realtime with a Rev A Mac Pro.

And yes, like the other posters have said, you can export QT sequences but will have issues when needing alpha channels AND when needing to re-edit the clip. Exporting the QT is the safest and easiest way to do it, though you'd still have to render if your QT clip settings don't match your timeline settings.

Also, if you are working with images, bring down the image size and DPI.

A 30 minute render is ridiculous, I've never had a render that long... even on projects that were 10 minutes of pure keying and animation.

10. dougomite thread starter macrumors newbie

You were right my settings did not match. i thought they did. No wonder.
    Thanks. :)