Motion 5: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DanielDMB, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DanielDMB macrumors member

Hi.

I'm a Mac user who enjoys video editing, making videos, intros etc.

I use a mix of iMovie and Final Cut Express 4 to edit, but I'm looking for a good program to make video intros with.

I've tried After Effects, but Adobe just isn't really my thing. I don't like After Effects either. Before moving to a Mac, I used Sony Vegas for a good year or so. I usually make my intros with that, but let's face it: Quality isn't up to par, and it's limited intro-wise. It's mainly for editing, not really for intros per-say.

So to summarize: Is Apple's new Motion 5 worth spending $50 on?

Is it limited to what it can do (example: Templates, like LiveType) or is After Effects just the better way to go?

I don't do this professionally, it's just a hobby.

Thanks in advance.
    -Dan

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Yes.

3. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Is it limited to what it can do (example: Templates, like LiveType) or is After Effects just the better way to go?

4. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

You can make excellent motion graphics, composites, effects, etc. with Motion. It is not limited to templates, just your creativity and ability to use the built-in tools. There is no denying that After Effects is the standard, but for $50, Motion is a good place to start. I own both.

5. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this was the answer I was looking for. I think I'll spring for Motion 5.