Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Hello!

I've had my series 2 for just over a week and it's been fine... except for today I've noticed the location arrow was stuck on. It's the MC&D that's causing it to be on. I've tried turning on and off the toggle and location services and rebooting and hard resetting both the iPhone and Watch. The little arrow keeps coming back?!!! What can I do? Anybody else have this problem?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why is it a problem if the arrow is there? At least you know the reason behind the arrow being there. It will eventually go away on its own. But if you keep toggling it, restarting devices and what not, its starting over what its trying to accomplish.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Why is it a problem if the arrow is there? At least you know the reason behind the arrow being there. It will eventually go away on its own. But if you keep toggling it, restarting devices and what not, its starting over what its trying to accomplish.
But why did the arrow start staying on now over a week later when it never did this before?! What is it trying to accomplish? I've already calibrated and gone on a few runs. Hmmmm

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
But why did the arrow start staying on now over a week later when it never did this before?! What is it trying to accomplish? I've already calibrated and gone on a few runs. Hmmmm

Is the workout app running in the background on your watch? Is it in the dock?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Is the workout app running in the background on your watch? Is it in the dock?
No I force closed it. I'm going to try resetting the Calibration data and going for a run with the iPhone and watch and see if that makes it go away.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I found the culprit!!! It was the run keeper app. After a back up and restore my problem went away.

I started monkeying (using) with the runkeeper app and lo and behold after awhile the motion calibration and distance was stuck on again.

I am imagining it's a big for everyone but most people probably don't notice it because they don't have the toggle on that makes systems services show the arrow in the status bar.

Anybody out there who uses run keeper with the latest versions of the app and iOS want to check? I bet your motion calibration and distance is stuck on too. The only way to get rid of it is to do a backup and restore. No more run keeper for me. I'll stick to Nike. I really wanted to use RK for my watch but not if it has this bug on my iPhone!

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I found the culprit!!! It was the run keeper app. After a back up and restore my problem went away.

I started monkeying (using) with the runkeeper app and lo and behold after awhile the motion calibration and distance was stuck on again.

I am imagining it's a big for everyone but most people probably don't notice it because they don't have the toggle on that makes systems services show the arrow in the status bar.

Anybody out there who uses run keeper with the latest versions of the app and iOS want to check? I bet your motion calibration and distance is stuck on too. The only way to get rid of it is to do a backup and restore. No more run keeper for me. I'll stick to Nike. I really wanted to use RK for my watch but not if it has this bug on my iPhone!
Glad you found it. I wonder if its a bug with run keeper that is causing motion calibration and distance to be running.

Roybenz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013

I dont have run keeper. And I have the same problem. Seems like it's happend after I installed Nike+ but uninstalling doesn't help. Tried to set a workout for 20 min to calibrate, but it doesn't go away. Really annoying.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I’ve noticed motion calibration and distance location tracking happens a lot more often after the update to iOS 11. It is triggered often when locking my phone and walking places away from my home. It’s like it knows when you disconnect from a WiFi and or connect to a Bluetooth in the car or something like that and it’s just on often after waking my screen compared to any iOS before iOS 11. I have to leave it on though otherwise sometimes my runs aren’t as accurate as they would be with it off I’ve noticed.

Roybenz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
I’ve noticed motion calibration and distance location tracking happens a lot more often after the update to iOS 11. It is triggered often when locking my phone and walking places away from my home. It’s like it knows when you disconnect from a WiFi and or connect to a Bluetooth in the car or something like that and it’s just on often after waking my screen compared to any iOS before iOS 11. I have to leave it on though otherwise sometimes my runs aren’t as accurate as they would be with it off I’ve noticed.

But does it ever go away? Mine is constantly hollow arrow and it fills out when I move. Is it only for tracking through iphone? Can Apple watch 3 do just as good without this turned on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.