Motion Calibration is Draining My iPhone 6 Battery

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've noticed that the Motion Calibration setting is always on (for the most part) and I'm wondering what this is for?

Does this track my steps? I want that feature to still work but I don't want to kill my battery.

If you turn on the Location Services indicator you'll notice how much it's using Motion Cwlibration.

Attachments

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Turn off everything but Find My iPhone. The rest are useless.
Aren't some of these useful? I turned off what I felt was unnecessary, just wanted to know what Motion Calibration was for.

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Yeah it's always turned on with me too. I've just turned it off and hasn't affected the steps or distance in the health app, they continue to work for me.

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Yeah it's always turned on with me too. I've just turned it off and hasn't affected the steps or distance in the health app, they continue to work for me.
Ok great I turned it off and it still works for me. What about Compass Calibration? Don't we need that to use the compass?

And Setting Timezone, doesn't that make sure the Timezone is correct?

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
i just have find my iphone, time zone, and compass calibration turned on. everything else just drains the battery for "features" that you'll never use.

the GPS chip is one of the biggest battery-drainers in a phone, aside from the screen. they really need to pump more R&D money into making them more power efficient

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.