Motion Calibration is Draining My iPhone 6 Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I've noticed that the Motion Calibration setting is always on (for the most part) and I'm wondering what this is for?

Does this track my steps? I want that feature to still work but I don't want to kill my battery.

If you turn on the Location Services indicator you'll notice how much it's using Motion Cwlibration.

Attached Files:

2. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Second screen shot.

Attached Files:

3. wxman2003 Suspended

Turn off everything but Find My iPhone. The rest are useless.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Aren't some of these useful? I turned off what I felt was unnecessary, just wanted to know what Motion Calibration was for.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

I have found all the others to be of little use, other than drain the battery.

6. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Yeah it's always turned on with me too. I've just turned it off and hasn't affected the steps or distance in the health app, they continue to work for me.

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok great I turned it off and it still works for me. What about Compass Calibration? Don't we need that to use the compass?

And Setting Timezone, doesn't that make sure the Timezone is correct?

8. hypervish89 macrumors regular

Motion calibration is killing my battery too. Anyone know what it does?

9. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Yeah, they're all useless. Apple spent many hours developing these capabilities as useless just so you can turn them all off. :rolleyes:

10. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

i just have find my iphone, time zone, and compass calibration turned on. everything else just drains the battery for "features" that you'll never use.

the GPS chip is one of the biggest battery-drainers in a phone, aside from the screen. they really need to pump more R&D money into making them more power efficient

11. jlake02, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I searched around a bit and it seems to be for monitoring footsteps, etc, for health AND for the OIS in the Plus. The former I could care less about, but the latter is important to me. Hmm...

EDIT: Here is a thread on the Apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546079?start=0&tstart=0

:apple: