Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonman06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Quick question. I have noticed that a lot of the time I see the location icon in my status bar. It seems that "motion calibration" is responsible for this. Does anyone know if this is a necessary thing to keep on and if so why? I am using an iPhone 6 plus.

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Quick question. I have noticed that a lot of the time I see the location icon in my status bar. It seems that "motion calibration" is responsible for this. Does anyone know if this is a necessary thing to keep on and if so why? I am using an iPhone 6 plus.

Noticing this on my 6 too. I guess it's the M8 coprocessor assisting with indoor location etc. Would be interested in other people's views with regard to keeping the service on vs battery life trade off.

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011

I noticed this too. This worked for me.

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>App Store>Never

Haven't seen the location icon since.

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I noticed this too. This worked for me.

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>App Store>Never

Haven't seen the location icon since.

It's constantly on with Motion Calibration for me; turning App Store location services off does nothing. However, I'm not noticing any noticeable battery drain (battery usage is still 'calibrating' after a recharge).

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I've noticed its in constant use - I don't mind so much if its not munching though much battery, but it's in the way if theres something thats genuinely using heavy location data that i should be keeping an eye on.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Seemed to go away after turning background app refresh off - it's either twitter, weather or podcasts that's caused it for me.

-- edit --

Nope, it comes back. Anyone got to the bottom of this?

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Its so they can track you and know where you are at all times. At ALL times.

:-O

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I turned off location for motion calibration and it doesn't seem to affect steps, distance, etc.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I read somewhere that most of the system service location services are for collecting data mostly(like cell network search, etc.). I only have find my phone and location based alerts on. All the features of the phone seem to be working properly.
I also found that if location is turned on for spotlight suggestions that the location arrow stays on 100% of the time. This was true on my iPad 4, iPhones 5s and 6.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I read somewhere that most of the system service location services are for collecting data mostly(like cell network search, etc.). I only have find my phone and location based alerts on. All the features of the phone seem to be working properly.
I also found that if location is turned on for spotlight suggestions that the location arrow stays on 100% of the time. This was true on my iPad 4, iPhones 5s and 6.

Interestingly I have Spotlight suggestions on and the location arrow only comes on if I use spotlight. I have turned motion calibration back on for now, and getting no location arrow, however I know when the phone goes to sleep next it'll come back on.

Will leave it overnight and see if it changes - if not I will just turn it off/reset all settings and see if that makes a difference.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012

I take it back about the motion calibration setting. The health app seems not to record flights of stairs climbed if motion calibration is off in system settings. I just ran up and down the stairs many times testing it with it on and off, iPhone 6.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I take it back about the motion calibration setting. The health app seems not to record flights of stairs climbed if motion calibration is off in system settings. I just ran up and down the stairs many times testing it with it on and off, iPhone 6.

Well spotted. Wonder In that case if it will stay persistent for a while so it learns 'floors' then only fire now and then. Will test and see, but certainly annoying seeing the arrow at the top!

TheDaliMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
I seem to have got mine to stop showing the arrow by going to settings icloud then at the bottom there's the share my location setting, i toggled that off then on again and it seems to have stopped the motion calibration from happening every ten seconds.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Where is this motion calibration setting in Settings app?

It's in privacy > location services > system services.

----------

I seem to have got mine to stop showing the arrow by going to settings icloud then at the bottom there's the share my location setting, i toggled that off then on again and it seems to have stopped the motion calibration from happening every ten seconds.

Hasn't made a difference here. :-(

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
My GPS arrow seems to be on a lot of the time too, and Motion Calibration seems to be causing it. Can we get a clear understanding of just what Motion Calibration setting does?

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
My GPS arrow seems to be on a lot of the time too, and Motion Calibration seems to be causing it. Can we get a clear understanding of just what Motion Calibration setting does?

I've no idea. I let it run all day today and have switched it off now. Although it doesn't seem to take up much battery, it has the potential to mask other location uses and until we can put our finger on what it's doing I'm happy to leave it off.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006

That worked for me. I did notice that it came on after I briefly opened find my friends, then quit the app. I feel like they're related but I'm not sure.

Edit: That did not solve the problem.

Last edited:

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Motion calibration and Spotlight suggestions both seem to be running my GPS 24/7 and I'm convinced it's having true impact on my battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.