Motion Crash on startup

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vincentieo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. vincentieo macrumors newbie

Hi, i have final cut studio pro 5 running on a mac book 2.16 Ghz with 2Gb ram

I recently attempted to add motion (version 1.0.1) and all seemed good until i try and do anything in motion because as soon as i do, it cashes.

After opening through ctrl click - show package contents - Mac OS - Motion (i.e running through terminal) i end up with this following error:

Last login: Mon Feb 11 15:42:21 on ttyp1
    /Applications/Motion.app/Contents/MacOS/Motion; exit
    Welcome to Darwin!
    Vinces-Macbook:~ vince$ /Applications/Motion.app/Contents/MacOS/Motion; exit
    x86 Warning PSWAP_gliGetInteger:97: pname: unknown enum 988 0x3DC UNKNOWN
    Segmentation fault
    logout
    [Process completed]

Sadly, i simple do not know enough about the terminal or this level of computer language to work out what it means..... Hence the post, please help

Thanks in advance, Vince

2. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

I assume since you are running Final Cut 5 that you are running Motion 2? There could be a couple of issues causing the crash. First, Motion isn't designed to run on a Macbook. The only laptop it is supported with are the Macbook Pros. I have heard of people running it on Macbooks but with mixed results.

Secondly, I have heard a lot of people having problems running Motion 2 on Intel laptops. When I first installed it on my Intel Macbook Pro, it crashed every time I opened the program. I wasn't using the true universal version, so that might have been the problem. When I upgraded to Motion 3, it worked fine.

You might check Apple Support/forums for more compatibility details.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

try deleting the .plist file. Have you run motion before on your computer?

4. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Motion needs............
    Minimum system requirements to install all Final Cut Studio applications

• A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor.
    • 1GB of RAM
    An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
    A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
    • Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
    • QuickTime 7.1.6 or later
    • A DVD drive for installation

5. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Just for your information, I am regularly using Motion for editing my videos on my MacBook baseline model. In fact, other than a bigger HDD and 2GB of memory, it's the most basic MacBook model you can get (got them when they just came out).

Motion runs fine. I use it for all sorts of editing, including using the 3D features of motion. I have videos I've produced using it.

Just wanted you all to know that before getting all smug thinking you know how it works.

6. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

Sorry. Over the top smugness. I'll try and be more humble in future.
    By the way, motion doesn't edit, it's a motion graphics application.