Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Hello. I currently have a Hue hub + HomeBirdge + HomePods all over. My Hue mention sensor has been a pain — It randomly stops working. I want to get rid of my Hue hub and the Motion sensor. Does anyone have an opinions on HomeKit enabled motion sensors that will just use HomeKit or the HomePod as a hub? I also have a ring alarm that has a motion sensor … can I use that with automation? I want some of my smart bulbs (HomeKit) to turn on with motion. Thanks in advance !

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I used to have the Hue motion sensors but they rarely worked, it was very irritating.

I switched over to the Aqara motion sensors and have never looked back, they work great every single time and work great w/ HomeKit. You can sign out of the Aqara app after installing them and just use them in HomeKit If you want. One drawback is they require the Aqara hub so there’s the added expense upfront. Aqara has some great products that all work with HomeKit Temp sensors, door/window sensors, water sensor, vibration sensors etc. I highly recommend looking at Aqara.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
+1 for Aqara. They run on Zigbee 3.0 and have been very fast and reliable for me as well in HomeKit. Once you get an Aqara Hub, and there are several to choose from (cameras, alarm sirens, the E1 which just plugs in and is the cheapest), all the child device sensors are very reasonably priced.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I appreciate the replies … I saw the Aqara on Amazon, but didn’t feel like buying another hub. BUT I guess it seems worth it and I can sell my Hue hub. Thanks guys for the info !

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I have several hue motion sensors for multiple rooms of my house and each of them are set up to turn lights on with motion…all of them work perfectly and as expected.

Have you set up the daylight sensitivity and motion sensitivity correctly for them within the hue app?

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Funny Hue Motion Sensor story (true story).

As mentioned the Hue motion sensor had a mind of its own and rarely worked so much so I gave up and began using the Aqara sensors. After installing the Aqara I removed the Hue from the Hue App and deleted from the Apple Home App. I put the Hue sensor back in the original package and placed it on a shelf with other smart home things I no longer use for one reason or another. I closed the cupboard door and that was that.

Every time I open the cupboard door for something else the dam sensor goes off and triggers a notification in the Hue app. Soooo I had to turn the package around backward facing the back of the cabinet in order to get it to stop sending motion notifications.

Things that make you go hmmm?

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I have several hue motion sensors for multiple rooms of my house and each of them are set up to turn lights on with motion…all of them work perfectly and as expected.

Have you set up the daylight sensitivity and motion sensitivity correctly for them within the hue app?
The sensor was working great for like a month. And then it just stopped responding. I’m going to return it unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.