Motion Sensor on Early 2008 MacBook Pro Keeps Ticking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piblondin, Jan 31, 2011.

1. piblondin macrumors member

The motion sensor on my MacBook Pro keeps making a ticking noise at regular intervals. I tried restarting the computer and resetting the SMC, but it didn't seem to help anything. I then used my hand to knock on the area to the right of the trackpad where the noise is coming from. That seems to have made it stop for the meantime. Is there another, real fix for this issue? Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The sudden motion sensor can't tick. It CAN tell the hard drive to park its head to prevent damage to it, in which case you'd hear a sound coming from the LEFT of the trackpad, where the hard drive is.

You can turn it off using a terminal command, thing is, I wouldn't recommend it unless your hard drive has it's own built-in, as a shock could damage the hard drive permanently.

Your call.

3. piblondin thread starter macrumors member

From what I've gathered, this sound is the motion sensor engaging. You can normally trigger it by quickly moving or tilting the laptop. However, mine was making the noise without any movement. As I mentioned, this noise comes from the area where the DVD drive is to the right of the trackpad. It's definitely not the hard drive.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The hard drive is to the right of the trackpad, so that's likely what it is.

5. piblondin thread starter macrumors member

No, the hard drive is not to the right of the trackpad.

No, that is inaccurate. The hard drive is where your left palm would rest while typing, to the left of the trackpad. See http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2119532,00.asp for photos.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013