Motion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by timimbo85, Jul 9, 2008.

1. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I am doing a movie in motion. I guess you can describe it as an "advanced power point" with pictures and text, some animation. I am breaking it up into parts bc the bigger the movie gets, the slower the computer goes. What is the best way for me to put this thing together ? Should I save it as a .mov? The problem is that I need high quality, and when I export these chapters, the movie is 400mbs, just for one chapter!!! AHH... If someone could shed come light I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Keep Mac'n...

2. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

What version of Motion are you using, 2 or 3?

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

If you have Motion I'll assume you have Final Cut Pro, right?

I would probably export each segment as a video file with a lossless (or just high quality) codec. Or if you're doing this for TV, just use DV settings. Then stitch them all together in Final Cut Pro and export that as a MOV as well. Then if that's too large for you, you can compress it as you like.

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

Yes, you should save it as a .mov. That's only half the answer though, as .mov does not imply a codec i.e., it could be DV, MPEG, Sorenson, Uncompressed etc...

If you are exporting using the DV codec expect roughly 200MB per minute. Uncompressed video will, obviously, be much larger but look much better than DV, especially when it comes to GFX and text. The animation codec may work well for what you're doing as well. If you want high quality, you will have large files. Save the lossy codecs for delivery (mpeg-2 for DVD, else your choice.)