motion3 help (.gifs dont animate only .mov)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xplizid, Jul 19, 2007.

1. xplizid macrumors newbie

ive been trying to learn and creating a project and the files i want to add are .gifs but as far as i know only .mov files animate do i need to a proper converter if so recomendations or is there a plugin? ive opened the gifs in quicktime and then saved them as .mov and it works but adds a white background layer to the gif.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

What codec are you using when you export the .gif to quicktime? It seems like you are using a codec that doesn't support alpha channels, try exporting using the animation codec, it supports alpha channels and should preserve your transparency.

3. xplizid thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just opened it in quicktime and saved it making it a .mov

but that makes perfect sense, how do i go about this, i am at work and not on my mac trying to get a heads up before i fiddle as i did not see options while browsing yesterday. thanks for the quick reply btw. gawd im noob hopefully not for long :).

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Open up the .gif in quicktime

1. File -> Export
    2. Make sure export movie to quicktime is selected
    3. Select options
    4. Under the video section select settings
    5. Under compression type select Animation

5. xplizid thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks bro, hopefully it worx big thanks ahead of time ill be sure to post results or failure :D.

6. xplizid thread starter macrumors newbie

well quicktime still adds the white background to my images :confused: i read today that the animation codec along with changing to millions of colors + should allow transparency backgrounds but in motion its showing up as thousands of colors any ideas?

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

In motion under the properties inspector, change the mode for the video asset to premultiplied alpha and see if that fixes it.

8. xplizid thread starter macrumors newbie

hey man i cant find video setting in inspector properties i find transform blending lighting and timing.

*edit found it theres premultiplied color, black and white fiddled with that earlier didnt work :(.