Motion5 with iMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ifti, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I know motion5 is mainly for use with FCPX, but can I use motion to create titles and transition effects, export them, and then import them into my iMovie projects??
    I don't really need to use FCPX as iMovie does everything I need it to do, I'd just like the ability to add some nicer transitions and title effects.

So I would open a new project in Motion5.
    Create a new title effect or transition etc.
    Export it and then import into iMovie to use with my main project.

Would this work??

I did have FCPX but got a refund on it as it was overkill for my needs and the constant rendering kept my CPU running quite high. iMovie seems much smoother and generally runs quicker and slicker, and it does everything I need it to do. I just want the ability to create some more added effects etc - could Motion5 do that for me?

2. sigamy macrumors 65816

You can export a QuickTime movie of your finished titles from Motion and then add that to your iMovie project.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/motion/all-features/#high-quality-output

Single-step export settings
    Use the Share menu for output options that are preconfigured for popular devices and destinations. Export projects in formats for iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, DVD, or Blu-ray discs,* or publish directly to destinations such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Facebook. You can also export to formats such as ProRes 422, ProRes 4444, and H.264. Export a QuickTime file of your project to import your motion graphics into other applications like iMovie.