MotionPlus is out.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JackAxe, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm picking up the new Tiger Woods today and hopefully and Wii Resorts -- if available.

On a side note, I bought Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis for my Wii last night. :)

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I was just reviewing when this was released. I, too, will be out to purchase today/tonight.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

havent used my wii in 9 months. but its getting more and more tempting to dig it back out.

4. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have to go to Frys, because they dropped the price on my Logitech G25 since I bought it last Friday, so I'm going to put the difference towards these new games.

Indiana Jones is actually fun. The fighting is enjoyable at the moment with lots of variety. I'm trying to unlock a glory point, so that I can unlock Fate of Atlantis, a game I actually already own two physical copies of. :eek:

I really haven't touched my Wii much for the past year. The last game I tried was Mushroom Men, but it didn't keep my interest long enough. But there's really no excuse on my part, because I still have not finished Zelda and Galaxy, two great games that I should have finished eons ago.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah my dad is so psyched about Tiger Woods. I think we was going after work today to pick it up. I might get it as well, otherwise when I go over he will kick my ass.... and thats just embarrassing to have a parent beat me at a video game :eek:

6. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It works as advertised. The last version I played of Tiger was 07, its GUI was terrible, its visuals were XBox/PS2-isc, and the swing had issues. Sometimes it would go backwards and screw up my swing. Putting was next to impossible with that version.

.... ANYWAYS.... I can't say any of that about this new Tiger game. The putting and swing are dead on to my craptastic skill level. :) I also like that they dropped the lame "All Play" labeling of the Wii version, and now that's an optional play mode, as it should be.

There's a Frisbee golf game included. It moves just as my hand does, no matter the angle.

Anyways, this is what I imagined about the Wii, and now it's here, give or take 3 years... But as Nintendo likes things, it's affordable now. Oo

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well now I want to pick this game up!

We'll see...I could wait for Wii Sports Resort

8. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's worth it, which is probably an odd thing to say about an EA Wii Sports game. :eek:

Just like real golf where as I sucketh at putting, this game really picks up on that. :)

Anyways, $49 for the game, $10 for the MotionPlus attachment, instead of $20.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Wii Sports Resort doesn't come out until July 26.

10. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep, know that now. :D

I wasn't sure of the release dates the other day, so just went out and bought.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i might have to pick up tiger woods this week. sounds like it's pretty good

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The Tiger Woods Golf is so motion sensitive that I find it tiring. After a day at work, a good workout at the gym/running. Coming home to play the Wii is even more exhausting now. I think I might just sell my Wii now and get onboard with a 360 or something.

This isn't to say the Wii is bad, and this isn't the first time I've mentioned this before. But now with the WiiMotionPlus, I am finding motion control to be too much work (from the trying to relax perspective).

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. I can see your point, it's the same issue I have with the forthcoming Tony Hawks skateboard thing. If it's getting to the point where we litterally have to 'play' as if we are actually doing those things, then why not just go and do them? It no longer becomes just playing, it's doing.

Most of us gamers do so to escape doing those things in reality. So it's starting to become a bit of an oximoron the whole 'gaming' thing, when we have to physicaly do the things we are just pretending to do.....

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Guitar Hero/Rock Band anyone? Unfortunately it seems like this method is fairly popular.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well ok there's a level of non reality in GH with the way the guitar works, but you can bet as they churn out GH 7086 (in 2010 ;) ) they will probably have added refinements to the guitar including strings / chords and sh*t - so it'll get to the point where you may as well be playing a real guitar :D and likewise I imagine a few revisions down the line we will have ROCKBAND - FOR REAL THIS TIME! ;)

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well, it's different, you might be swinging, skating, playing guitar as if you were doing the real thing, except you'll never swing as good as Tiger Woods, skate as well as Tony Hawk and play guitar as well as Jimi Hendrix with as little effort as it takes to do it when playing these games. That's the whole appeal of Rock Band/Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk or Tiger Woods, feeling like a rockstar or feeling like a pro skater or a pro golfer when in reality you aren't any of those things while getting as close as possible to the experience of the real thing. You can even feel a great sense of accomplishment when you play in expert and you didn't have to learn how to play guitar to do it; that's the point.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Guitar Hero is a very poor example. It has almost nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Albeit, sure you can play like Tiger or skate like Tony but honestly my point was that the actions of the WiiMote are a turnoff to me. If excercise is what you want from the Wii, great go for it because it definitely can make you sweat. But from my perspective (and I didn't know this until I got the Wii) gaming is all about sitting on the couch. I think this is why I was so addicted to Mega Man 9 cause it was a throwback to what I know.

What I DO like about Wii gaming is the semi-evolution of the controls to the point and click gaming. The new Madden and Pro Evolution Soccer are wonderful examples of this. I would hope a baseball version of such a thing would be released. The gesture thing is just way to gimmicky.

Note: I have a pretty killer Wii setup if anyone is interested in a Modded Wii with many accessories & Games :)

18. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Ironic that you're thinking about a 360 as MS is readying it to become the SPAZ machine of the century. ;)

Anyways, I wouldn't call Tiger Woods exercise, there's no walking involved and the Wiimote isn't even remotely heavy -- no pun intended. It's not anything like those Wii games that require one flails both arms as quickly a possible just to run, which can be tiring, but so is repeatedly pressing the shoulder buttons on a gamepad when the game calls for that sort of action.

So are you griping just to gripe, or just sharing your opinion? :p

Speaking of exercise. My racing wheel can really give me an upper body workout when I turn the force up to 100% :)

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think I dragged out my replies one too many. My main point is that the Wii requires too much effort and not enough fun, even with the WiiMotion+ :p
    But yeah this has begun to sound like a waaahhhh-fest on my part.

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I tried to pick up Tiger Woods over the weekend, but I couldn't find it anywhere. :(

I'm *really* looking forward to it. I have '07, and I got the controls down pretty well to the point where I had complete control over every shot, but that was sitting down.

Contrary to some other posts, I'm actually looking forward to a little more action. I hope Tiger Woods '10 is as accurate as I'm expecting it to be. :)

21. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's really popular, but the Frys here has it. :eek:

It's worth getting, the accuracy is exactly what this game needed along with EA's extra polish on the game. :)

GimmeSlack12,

Well, what's boring to one is fun to another. :)

The Wii is finally where I imagined it would be a few years back, so for me, I really look forward to the type of games I imagined would be great with motion. Anyways Tiger filled my golf needs, so now I just need a new Zelda that actually lets me swing my sword how I want. :)

Another ramble, I bought my G25 racing wheel, because playing GRID with my dual-analog gamepad just didn't cut it. It was OK, but like the Wiimote and golf, a trurer to life controller was what the game needed to bring it that next level, which enhanced my experience by helping to improve my driving response and adding a whole new layer of fun. It's allot more work for me to use the wheel than it was the gamepad, but it's worth it, just as the Wiimote is for me and others when it comes to a game like golf --I really never want to go back to a timed button press for this sort of game, that's boring imo.

Anyways, long live the Wii pointer! May all consoles ship with them next time around and may developers that work for Sony not make dumb comments about their new pointer being the uberness, when the PS3 already supported a better pointer, a mouse...

22. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I understand your point and bear in mind my reply was not directed to you but to MacRumorUser.

People want to feel like they are actually playing golf without needing a golf course, clubs and the actual skill, Tiger Woods with MotionPlus (and Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, etc) gives them just that.

It's a different kind of gaming. I actually agree with you on the exercise part to some degree (regular games can be taxing on your mind and body too) but that's only because immersion is not the only aspect of games from which I draw enjoyment; but some people do.

Some gamers tend to prefer well-developed, elaborate gameplay mechanics that challenge your brain and your eye-hand coordination. Others just prefer immersion and unique "experiences"; others like the middle-ground. There's nothing wrong with any approach.

My point being, Tiger Woods might require some effort to play but that "effort" is part of the immersion, games do not have to be restricted to the first case I described (eg. Megaman 9); you don't like it, I understand, but it doesn't mean that the game is steering away from the essence of gaming, especially not for the reasons you describe.