MotionX Drive

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jcorbin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

anyone use motion x drive for gps?
    how do you like it? is it worth it?

i have waze but its kinda basic. i know its free but so was my nav on android. if you use a third party gps app do you still use the native maps app anymore?

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I use it and have for a while now. Best I've used. I no longer use the built in system in my Ford or Honda. You'll hear talk of how some apps like Tom Tom keep the maps on your phone thus if you lose cell signal.....well, how often does that happen really......Besides, you can simply go into the options menu on Motion X and have your map(s) data downloaded prior to beginning so it will function just the same as the other guys, only your phone won't be bloated with map data that needs updated regularly. I do that occasionally when I'm in very remote areas but again, rarely lose signal for long. Lastly, even if you do and you forget to pre-fetch the maps, just flip over to the list view. It contains all your routing information from start to finish.

Well worth the $10-$20 per year....as I believe they are still offering the $10/yr turn by turn voice navigation.

Can't speak more highly of the product. I've only used it once but their support is great too.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You can also give MapQuest a try, which is free. Voice guidance is good and has excellent routing. The UI is pretty basic though.

Other than that I would go for Navigon if your looking for something that also has a great UI. Plus it stores maps.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you use all the features it has? like searching for restaurants and coffee places? or just navigation?

5. vaugha macrumors regular

Interesting...will give this a try.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Of course. Try using search sometime:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=24968265

Nope.

7. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Love it, well worth the money, I use it for navigation to just about everywhere.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I used it for several months & liked it, but on long trips data dropouts make it difficult to search POI's or reroute. For around town I'd recommend it for sure.

I switched to Garmin USA to get all the maps on-board & am happy with that.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I use those features all the time. Works great. I love Siri, but until I say to Siri "I'm in the mood for Coffee" and have her then route me there using Motion X, I'll stick to using Motion X for such things as I can just simply have it search along route and add it as a stop. Viola! Easy and works great.

10. tygrubb macrumors regular

I use MotionX Drive all the time....but I live in the greater LA area, so there's almost always cell service. Traffic routing has generally been very good, and it's even taught me a couple of sneaky ways to get back home when the traffic on the freeways is bad.

As others have mentioned, there is the ability to pre-cache map tiles at the start of a route, but what concerns me is what happens if you need to re-route and you have no cell service? If/when I ever take an extensive drive into an area where cell service is not guaranteed then I'll probably pony up for the Navigon or Garmin. Until then, MXD does me well enough.

11. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I used navigon for about a week ...personally preferred MotionX and continue to use that. It's been my favorite GPS ap for roughly 2 years now.

13. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the comments and suggestions. between navigon and motionx i think i prefer motionx. however motion seems to be a bit clunky and cluttered in the UI department.

i also looked at waze for free navigation. it works pretty well. has anyone used waze for their map/navigation solution?

i'm trying to not have to use the maps app and a nav app. i hate having to switch back and forth.

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

download

One can always download the maps/pois prior to going out of cell coverage, either for cities, areas on the map, a route you are travelling or even say an entire state or states. Means you don't hit (or need) the data except for say traffic updates.

15. Redjac macrumors newbie

I've used MotionX a lot. It's a good, reliable app. I've recently switched to Navigon, and so far I'm finding it to be superior in just about every way. Faster, much better interface (if I have one real complaint about MotionX it's the interface), much better looking maps, lane guidance, speed limits, and on and on.

Navigon is still new to me, so maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but I'd recommend it over MotionX. That being said, I'm not dissing MotionX. It's a fine app.

16. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I tried Navigon for a couple of weeks, but I had some incidents where it attempted to give me some really wonky directions. One time I tried to send me in what I knew was the opposite direction of where I needed to do. In other words, I didn't know the exact location but I knew it was to the east of me, and Navigon wanted to send me west. Another time it tried to route me through a winding residential community with a 25 mph speed limit instead of using a more major road with a 45 mph speed limit, and *no* ... avoidances were not on. I went back to Motion X.

The UI on Motion X may be a little crowded, but I think it is well laid out and easy to get used to. I generally hook it to the car stereo so I can listen to iTunes until it cuts in with directions. It also works well pairing the the iPhone to the bluetooth comms device on my motorcycle helmet. Something only the crazy expensive Zumo's from Garmin will do.

Overall, of the bunch of Nav programs I have tried on my iPhone, Motion X has been my favorite.

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I use Motion X exclusively now, all of the features. As one other person who posted said, I find the traffic management issues great and I don't have any problem with the UI.

I live in Southern California, so mostly have cell service wherever I go, but when I've traveled where there is no cell, Motion X does a good job of updating my position after letting me know that I don't have cell coverage.

I'm very satisfied with the product and the Live Voice package is well worth the added cost. (on sale now for something like $9/year)

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

That's the great thing about MotionX too. It routes you based on traffic from moment one. I no longer second guess it anymore as I've had my fair share of times thinking I knew better only to end up being stuck.

It prefeches quite a bit of data / maps. I wouldn't worry unless you choose to go 10 miles the opposite way.

Really? I think Motion is very well laid out and organized.

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

i use search it works pretty well

21. war eagle macrumors 6502a

So after 30 days I have to pay for the turn by turn navigation?

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

The voice commands yes.

23. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Oh cool, my music is up over those anyway.

24. StructAural macrumors regular

US only, it seems... Shame I'm a big user of their GPS app.

25. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I love Motion X, like others we have it on our iPhones and iPads. We frequently go to areas where there is no cell coverage and we just download our maps/routes in advance on our home WiFi. Interestingly, the Navigon reviews on iTunes have gone severely negative since the last upgrade (Garmin owned now). The Motion X reviews remain strongly positive.