MotionX GPS Drive

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by guklein, Apr 10, 2012.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Hello!

I will travel to US next month and rent a car to drive there between Miami and Orlando.

The app MotionX GPS Drive needs an internet connection? If yes, I will not able to use it, right?

Thank you!

2. Davydd macrumors regular

MotionX GPS Drive needs a cellular Internet connection to see the underlying maps. It will still track via assisted satellite GPS if you happen to drive outside a cellular area but from Miami to Orlando I would suspect it would not be for any amount of significant time if at all. In Miami and Orlando itself you'll always have a cellular connection.

There are apps by Tom Tom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon and Magellan that have their own maps and data stored on your iPhone and don't need a cellular connection at all. However, they have a cost considerably higher than MotionX GPS.

I use the Tom Tom GPS app as I do a lot of driving in an RV outside of cellular areas like national parks and forests and off the beaten path roads.

3. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess the problem for me is as I dont live in US I will not have a celular internet data plan to use MotionX GPV Drive.

Right?

Thanks!

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I believe the Navfree GPS Live USA app has free turn-by-turn directions without a wireless connection. After you install the app, then you download the map packs for the states you want. It’s based on OpenStreetMap.

5. Mrbobb, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Update for v15

MotionX GPS is for hiking, biking etc, with NO turn-by-burn voice prompt and can import GPX.

MotionX GPS drive is the more traditional driving app with turn-by-turn but can't import pre-defined routes.

Update MotionX GPS drive v15. It does have a feature to pre-load maps to operate wo cellular but the download, depending on your hotspot connection can take 15 minutes I hear.

GPS drive currently has an annoying $10/year fee for voice turn-by-turn, 30 days free trial.

GPS drive also has the capability of displaying its screen on selected JVC and Pioneer head units for another usd$27.