Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Am getting the new iPad Friday and for $3 I have downloaded the MotionX Drive GPS HD app. Have CoPilot Live right now. Am getting the 3G because of the GPS, am wondering if this app has the maps pre-loaded or are they on the fly? Plan to use the hotspot on the iP4 so I am hoping the maps are on the device.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Think I just found the answer. At 12 MB it has to be pulling down the data over 3G. Would I be correct with that?

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Motionx drive hd downloads maps on the fly.

If you want to preload maps, then motionx makes another app called GPS HD (which also allows use of terrain and marine charts) where you can preload whatever maps you want... Which I find convenient, as I have been a numbr of places where att service didn't exist.

Well worth spending another $3.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Motionx drive hd downloads maps on the fly.

If you want to preload maps, then motionx makes another app called GPS HD (which also allows use of terrain and marine charts) where you can preload whatever maps you want... Which I find convenient, as I have been a numbr of places where att service didn't exist.

Well worth spending another $3.

what? Motion X Drive can pre-download routes. You can do either on the fly or pre-cache them, you don't need another app.

original.jpg

Last edited:

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
It looks like I can at least download the map for the expected route I plan to take. Don't know how far it goes outside that.

Does anyone know how much data usage is involved to pull down the maps? For the most part I use GPS locally. More so I know the est time to arrive somewhere. Obviously I would need to use 3G for the traffic. May just end up going with the 4G plan with the iP4 hotspot. So long unlimited data.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Tek,

I can't help you with the MotionX Drive, but MotionX GPS allows you to download maps onto the iPhone / iPad. You can use this app to navigate around a city -- not for turn by turn driving directions, but it will show where you are on individual roads.

The nice thing is you draw a circle on the map and then choose the level of detail for the download. The more zoom levels you choose, the bigger the file to download. I am going to Europe this summer and have downloaded several city maps (Barcelona, Rome, etc.). Barcelona was about 39MB and I loaded the zoom to 17 of 18 levels. I chose down to the street level detail -- will be great for walking around and finding our way. I can have cellular data turned off (so no international roaming) and the GPS will use the downloaded maps to show my location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.