Moto taking a shot at iOS6 Maps Ouch

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by whoknows87, Sep 22, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

2. dazed macrumors 6502a

That's quite funny. Apple really have given the competition an opportunity here.

For those of us who are neutral it's quite interesting, for the fan boys it must be like nails on a chalkboard.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Great. This should put a fire under Apple ass. :)

4. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Sadly, it's a valid point. I tried to use the new Maps app to give me directions to the UPS store and it couldn't find the address. I put the address into my car GPS which hasn't been updated in two years and it found it with no issues. Apple is very slow to roll out new features compared to the competition but when they do, they typically do a much better job. This Maps app, however, is off to a terrible start and clearly could have benefited from some more testing.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The dictator[SJ] is gone. It's all a matter of time before the empire starts to collapse.

6. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

You can't just "test" like billions of streets and POIs

btw. to me personally the left pic appeals more, I see no use in seeing the satellite image.

7. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Do you not realize what they're actually pointing out? Look at the two pics again.

8. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

dude , the apple map produced the wrong result. Its showing a different street than the one entered into the search bar. Google maps is the right location

9. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

I have no interest in what they try to point out, I can hardly read the stuff at that resolution.

10. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

well, the apple map is displaying the completely wrong location... they are searching for a nyc address

you seem visibly blind, so why not support apple blindly :D

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Odd, I'm in Ohio, entered the address and it popped up just fine on my 4s. I then did it on Google via my iPad 3 and got the same result outside the iPhone and maps put the pushpin in the corner of the green space as in where the actual building would be.

iPhone 4s iOS6 Maps

[​IMG]

Google Maps via iPad 3 Web

[​IMG]

12. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

I haven't really paid attention, I was not aware the pin must display the same address as is in the search box. I never cared about maps as it had no turn by turn, so I am just starting to have a look at it.

The Maps info in my area (small town near cologne, germany) is pretty much flawless, has some 20-30% less POIs than google and the satellite photos are surprisingly exactly the same as Google's just at lower resolution.

----------

Probably Apple just fixed it as soon as this popped up ;)

13. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I didn't know people actually used Google Maps so extensively (since it lacks turn-by-turn with voice). I could understand for maybe walking or something, but I've always used the MapQuest app for driving- free, turn-by-turn voice, and well created.

So if you aren't happy with the new Maps app, there are plenty of alternatives!

14. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well...in Brooklyn, that is E. 15th St. Same way that Ave of the Americas & 6th Ave are the same street. That street is in Ditmas Park, BK. If they typed Manhattan, it would put that in Manhattan.

Just saying. Obviously, there are many issues w/ Maps but yeah.

15. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

you typed in something different in the search bar. google maps shows better logic.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No, the user of my GPS used a little more common sense when entering the data vs trying to be vague and invoke an issue. There's more than one 15th st. in NY.

Yes, I actually typed in New York vs NY. In the real world to insure accuracy I would likely type in the zip code. I worked in NYC for years and know how confusing it can be for any GPS. My practices wouldn't be any different regardless of the GPS. The more vague you are at entering things likely will be the return from a GPS System.

YMMV depending on which one but regardless if you're vague it's hard to blame just the system. To expect otherwise isn't realistic IMO. However, I'm confident some will still complain and expect otherwise. Good luck to them is what I say. Again, no one forced the upgrade or purchase.

----------

^^ agree 100%.

17. white4s macrumors 65816

i live in nj right across the river from nyc and it gave me the same result as the pic lol thats funny. the first mistake ive seen with maps. oh well