Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57597452-94/top-motorola-engineer-defends-moto-x-specs-q-a/

This engineer was surprisingly candid. He even fired a few shots at the competition.

-"Samsung is using a graphics processor, but they're using it the wrong way and their performance is actually worse than ours. They are burning more battery life. In the case of HTC, they're using an LCD screen, which is simply an inferior technology."

-"Our competitors are adding software features on top of Android that don't really matter. And it often hurts performance of the device. So when they layer on all this extra software on top of Android, it gives consumers a bad user-experience. And it creates different settings for the device, adding a level complexity that makes it more time-consuming and difficult to upgrade the software."

-"I guess if we had wanted to design a cheaper feeling plastic phone that maybe would have had some gaps in the hardware design, we could have done that. But we didn't want that type of design. And the truth is that only a small percentage of people are actually willing to carry around a second battery."

-

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I'd have to agree with him on a lot of points:
- A lot of companies out there play the b.s. spec wars that don't really help (example: 1080p screens that chew through battery life with no noticeable improvement in clarity for the user compared to 720p)
- Samsung and LG bake in gimmick after gimmick into their software to the point of confusion and make it that much harder to get updates in the future

Motorola is going about things the smart way, the Apple way. Don't give a damn about specs... simply give your users a phone they will be happy to own with great battery life and a more simple OS.

p.s. always on voice assistant is an amazing feature for a phone to have.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did anyone expect the engineer to say anything differently.

The consumer will decide the success of the Moto X, but limiting it to 1 territory automatically means the handset will not have anywhere like the global reach of the S4, One or iPhone.

Hardware specs & price aside, Motorola and Google's biggest failure is their inability to see beyond 50 states in one country.......

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
I'd have to agree with him on a lot of points:
- A lot of companies out there play the b.s. spec wars that don't really help (example: 1080p screens that chew through battery life with no noticeable improvement in clarity for the user compared to 720p)
- Samsung and LG bake in gimmick after gimmick into their software to the point of confusion and make it that much harder to get updates in the future

Motorola is going about things the smart way, the Apple way. Don't give a s#$% about specs... simply give your users a phone they will be happy to own with great battery life and a more simple OS.

p.s. always on voice assistant is an amazing feature for a phone to have.

Agreed. Look at the G2 and the knocking to wake up feature. That is just plain stupid, for lack of a better term. How is knocking on my screen useful? Things like this are touted as features, but they are just plain ridiculous. Look at the GS4 and some of those features. Waving my hand over the screen to answer the phone isn't useful at all, it's just plain ridiculous. They throw in all these features just to say they have them, but they often are quite impractical. It's refreshing to see Motorola being some real engineering innovation to the table, and it resulting in software innovation.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Moto X "most advanced smartphone on the market. Period."

The "most advanced " will last until September with the Note 3, and LG G2 now might also have big issues with that moniker. Tell me how a Snapdragon 400 is better than an 800 with better screens.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
The "most advanced " will last until September with the Note 3, and LG G2 now might also have big issues with that moniker. Tell me how a Snapdragon 400 is better than an 800 with better screens.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the actual system, and you would see the problem with the statement you just made. Also, if you actually read the article, you'd see yet another reason your statement is quite flawed. If you're going to make that type of response, at least read the article first, or bare minimum, be well-informed.

Moto X

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Moto X Global Release

I think that the releash in the US was just the start. There is definitely a global release strategy that will follow. It cant be that they launched a new smartphone to push it only in the US. Does anyone know more about the global release strategy and which countries are following?

Anyway, for those interested, you can find more info on Moto X reviews, apps, etc below:

http://www.mygooglemotox.com/

http://www.mymotorolamotox.com/

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Personally I think Motorola is going about things smartly.

They seem to be putting a lot of thought into software/hardware optimization and user experience, which is far more important than checking all the boxes on spec sheets.

I applaud them for that and Moto-X is a mighty fine looking phone as well.

Also, they are running nearly a stock build of android with minor tweaks.

There is no excuse for slow updates on nearly a stock build.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the actual system, and you would see the problem with the statement you just made. Also, if you actually read the article, you'd see yet another reason your statement is quite flawed. If you're going to make that type of response, at least read the article first, or bare minimum, be well-informed.

Thanks for your opinion. I have read and digested just about every article on the Moto X and I have had a lot of smartphones. This is not my first rodeo.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It cant be that they launched a new smartphone to push it only in the US. Does anyone know more about the global release strategy and which countries are following?

They have already stated themselves the Moto X is USA only. They have other products down the line for global but the Moto X remains currently USA only.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
They have already stated themselves the Moto X is USA only. They have other products down the line for global but the Moto X remains currently USA only.

It's a pity that non-US customers will receive a watered down version of the phone. I maybe wrong but I read that they'll push a more mid-range device for non-US markets.

However, will Canada receive this phone? One of the leaked videos that precede the launch was from Rogers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's a pity that non-US customers will receive a watered down version of the phone. I maybe wrong but I read that they'll push a more mid-range device for non-US markets.

However, will Canada receive this phone? One of the leaked videos that precede the launch was from Rogers.

Yeah I assume Canada will at least get it with Rodgers exclusivity.

Moto X

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
It strikes me as weird to launch a flagship smartphone one year after the acquisition of Motorola and keep it only to the US. Also, they have chosen a brand for the phone, be it the Moto X, and it would be fulish to spend money building different brands across the world when the have launched one already.

Competitors go with one brand globally and variations and maybe use local brands only to lower range phones.

Does anyone have any inside on that?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Did anyone expect the engineer to say anything differently.

The consumer will decide the success of the Moto X, but limiting it to 1 territory automatically means the handset will not have anywhere like the global reach of the S4, One or iPhone.

Hardware specs & price aside, Motorola and Google's biggest failure is their inability to see beyond 50 states in one country.......

Agreed. I think it will have success in the US, but Google and Motorola should release this worldwide.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Agreed. Look at the G2 and the knocking to wake up feature. That is just plain stupid, for lack of a better term. How is knocking on my screen useful? Things like this are touted as features, but they are just plain ridiculous. Look at the GS4 and some of those features. Waving my hand over the screen to answer the phone isn't useful at all, it's just plain ridiculous. They throw in all these features just to say they have them, but they often are quite impractical. It's refreshing to see Motorola being some real engineering innovation to the table, and it resulting in software innovation.

Seriously? The Knock On feature is just plain stupid? I think that's one of the neatest things about the G2 and LG should be applauded for bringing it to bear.

Let me ask you this (and put aside whatever feelings you may have about them trying the volume and sleep/wake buttons on the back)...you have a G2, and like most people, you have it laying on your desk screen up. How would you recommend waking the phone to check for something? Remember, the sleep/wake button is on the back. And don't say I'd just pick the phone up...that's not a solution. I'm sincerely asking you, how would you go about a workaround for waking a phone when the sleep/wake button is on the back and most people lay their phone down screen up (so they can see incoming notifications without touching the phone).

In that scenario, whether you want to admit it or not IS an everyday scenario, what would your solution be? Knock On is the perfect solution and I have no idea what you have against it or LG.

I'm not trying to be smart, but forgive me if I don't cry a river for you guys outside of the US. This may be the first time a big time phone has launched that we've actually gotten the top-shelf model (remember the S3...the international version had the quad-core but the US version had dual-core). Up until recently, we usually get the "watered down version" of phones compared to the international community. BTW, another difference...both Google and Motorola (I believe) are US companies, whereas most smartphone OEMs are based outside the US. Plus, the Moto X is being assembled inside the US (a first), so why does it shock anyone that a phone, designed in the US by two US companies, and built in the US, would be US-only at the beginning?

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Seriously? The Knock On feature is just plain stupid? I think that's one of the neatest things about the G2 and LG should be applauded for bringing it to bear. [/quote}
Surely you jest..

Let me ask you this (and put aside whatever feelings you may have about them trying the volume and sleep/wake buttons on the back)...you have a G2, and like most people, you have it laying on your desk screen up. How would you recommend waking the phone to check for something? Remember, the sleep/wake button is on the back. And don't say I'd just pick the phone up...that's not a solution. I'm sincerely asking you, how would you go about a workaround for waking a phone when the sleep/wake button is on the back and most people lay their phone down screen up (so they can see incoming notifications without touching the phone).
So you're "sincerely" asking me, but yet your question wants to take away any alternative answer... :rolleyes: I'd press the power button, not knock on my screen.

In that scenario, whether you want to admit it or not IS an everyday scenario, what would your solution be? Knock On is the perfect solution and I have no idea what you have against it or LG.
I'm sorry but I don't find power buttons all that cumbersome. Perhaps if it weren't on the back of the device, it would be easier to press when on a desk. Knocking on the screen is not a useful feature. Sorry, it just isn't.

----------

Thanks for your opinion. I have read and digested just about every article on the Moto X and I have had a lot of smartphones. This is not my first rodeo.

So if that is indeed the case, then surely you understand the problem in what you asked, right?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Seriously? The Knock On feature is just plain stupid? I think that's one of the neatest things about the G2 and LG should be applauded for bringing it to bear.
Surely you jest..

So you're "sincerely" asking me, but yet your question wants to take away any alternative answer... :rolleyes: I'd press the power button, not knock on my screen.

I'm sorry but I don't find power buttons all that cumbersome. Perhaps if it weren't on the back of the device, it would be easier to press when on a desk. Knocking on the screen is not a useful feature. Sorry, it just isn't.

----------

I'm not a jester. I'm also not a close-minded person, unlike you apparently are.

Maybe you should do a little more research...or perhaps OPEN YOUR FREAKING EYES. We're talking about the G2 in particular, not any other phone. So, with that said, the sleep/wake button is clearly ON THE BACK. Now, smarty...again, what would your solution be? And no, I'm not taking away options...I'm trying to get you to think outside the box. Let's pretend you CAN'T pick the phone up. So...again...how would you propose turning the screen on if you CAN'T hit the sleep/wake button because it's hidden behind the phone laying on it's back? Think...I know it's hard...but try and think. :rolleyes:

And who's saying the sleep/wake button is cumbersome??? Again, we're talking about a specific device with a unique button setup. If the phone is laying on it's back and you can't reach the sleep/wake button, how else are you supposed to turn the screen on?

And just to show that you have no clue what you're talking about, the feature is called "Knock On", but you don't LITERALLY knock on the screen like you would a door. :rolleyes: You simply tap on the screen with your finger. Jesus, I shouldn't have to explain this to someone.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Let's pretend you CAN'T pick the phone up. So...again...how would you propose turning the screen on if you CAN'T hit the sleep/wake button because it's hidden behind the phone laying on it's back? Think...I know it's hard...but try and think. :rolleyes:
So now I'm to "pretend" that I can't pick up the phone, yet I am still somehow able to use my hand to use the phone? o_0 ooook.... To answer your question...I'd become able to pick up the phone, and simply push the power button.
If you have to get me to "pretend" that there is no power button, or that I am unable to pick up the phone just to illustrate your point, then you don't have one. Sorry, but that feature just isn't very useful.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
It strikes me as weird to launch a flagship smartphone one year after the acquisition of Motorola and keep it only to the US. Also, they have chosen a brand for the phone, be it the Moto X, and it would be fulish to spend money building different brands across the world when the have launched one already.

Competitors go with one brand globally and variations and maybe use local brands only to lower range phones.

Does anyone have any inside on that?

I think it's probably just supply chain and logistics issues due to customization. I imagine if it catches fire, they'd extend their roll out, it would be dumb not to.

Anyway I liked the interview for the same reason I like it when anonymous engineers go on Reddit to defend their product. You end up getting info and explanations that aren't filtered through marketing.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
LCD isn't inferior to AMOLED IMHO. Otherwise i agree with him.

LCD requires that the entire screen be on regardless of what is being displayed, whereas AMOLED can turn on just whatever portion is necessary. There is definitely a clear technological difference between the two.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
LCD requires that the entire screen be on regardless of what is being displayed, whereas AMOLED can turn on just whatever portion is necessary. There is definitely a clear technological difference between the two.

Working differently doesn't automatically mean better. AMOLED draws more power when there are white backgrounds involved. It also over-saturates colours and is more reflective.

Last edited:

animalx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Working differently doesn't automatically mean better. AMOLED draws more power when there are white backgrounds involved. It also over-saturates colours and is more reflective.

Either way you slice it, it still is technologically inferior. You might prefer it's color saturation and such, but in the end, it still is technologically inferior.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Either way you slice it, it still is technologically inferior. You might prefer it's color saturation and such, but in the end, it still is technologically inferior.

Okay. Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Carry on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.