Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
i've been searching and searching everywhere online and how the heck do i get badge app notifications for the moto x, for free without a launcher, every option has me paying or using a launcher which i honestly do want to do, if anyone can help i would be forever grateful, i really want to love the phone, i really do, its the only gripe i have with it so far and its really making me hate mine that much more.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
A launcher is the only way. I believe it will require to pay for the full features on any launcher.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Ya, a feature like this requires extra apps and paying money. Kinda sad, seems like such a simple feature that should be offered stock on like every phone.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Ya, a feature like this requires extra apps and paying money. Kinda sad, seems like such a simple feature that should be offered stock on like every phone.

agh okay, thank you so much for the input, was really hoping that i wouldn't have to go to that route, i mean I'm getting used to not having them but it is really nice to know how many notifications i haven't checked

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
agh okay, thank you so much for the input, was really hoping that i wouldn't have to go to that route, i mean I'm getting used to not having them but it is really nice to know how many notifications i haven't checked

The GEL launcher on Kitkat just doesnt do number badges or some reason. I hope they fix that.
I had to get used to it as well and just went back to using Nova prime. But you still wont get number badges on hangouts. You will have to get another text app like Textra, Handcent, whichever gives those number badges but those two it does work. My Gmail still doesnt do it everytime with Nova.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I thought was what notification center was for?

Whenever you got into apps it clears all the notifications even then ones you haven't checked yet, still very annoying not knowing how many unchecked notifications you have

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Whenever you got into apps it clears all the notifications even then ones you haven't checked yet, still very annoying not knowing how many unchecked notifications you have

Fair enough. I'm sure you could find a lacking feature in every single OS ever made - the point is that with Android you can usually find a way to fix it and you rarely get that kind of flexibility on iOS without relying on jailbreaks.

----------

Kinda sad, seems like such a simple feature that should be offered stock on like every phone.

Kind of like getting basic filesystem access to your files right?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Still surprised there is no official badge support on android. Is it even on the "to do" list for Google? This and lock screen notifications are something Google needs to work on.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I just found a pretty cool app that replicates the iOS like lock screen with slide to unlock, message previews, and even quick shortcuts {such as deleting an email from the lock screen)

You have to download NiLS and then from the settings apply for the floating panel beta. Follow the steps outlined in the app and it should work. It works really well and doesn't replace your lock screen, just applies this floating widget over your lock screen. It kinda reminds me of intelliscreen x from Cydia on iOS.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Still surprised there is no official badge support on android. Is it even on the "to do" list for Google? This and lock screen notifications are something Google needs to work on.

lock screen notifications? You can pull down the notification menu from anywhere or use dashclock widget

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
lock screen notifications? You can pull down the notification menu from anywhere or use dashclock widget

Or I can also download a number of lock screen replacements and widgets (which I have done, see my post right above yours). But none so far have worked as well as the iOS lockscreen does for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.