Motorcycle Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Has anyone had expereince between a Honda cbr600rr and a Suzuki SVS650?

I am thinking about pulling the trigger and jumping from my SV to the Honda but was curious if others had made a jump from the more upright seating on the SV to the SS seating of the Honda

I am in contact with a guy who is willing to trade bikes with me laying down some cash. His bike is immaculate, a 2004 with 7400 miles and well taken care os (have seen it and test drove it a little)

My bike is an 03 with 8400 miles and in great shape as well

With that said, how much cash should I offer in addition to my bike? 700? He has it listed for 4k

My bike's KBB ranges from 2125 for trade in to 3130 for private sale
    His ranges from 2970 for trade in to 4325 for private sale

Both bikes have much less mileage than what KBB assumes and have similar mods so I call those a wash.

Anyways just wanted to see what some people's thoughts were
    His bike[​IMG]

My Current Bike
    [​IMG]

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not a rider, but $700 is nothing, as described.

Are you willing to take a lower position on the other bike?

If you can say "Yes", for your age, then you have your answer.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

As to which bike is better, it really depends on what your mission is. Commuting? Racing? Stunting?

And how big are you? I'm 6'-1" and 215 and there is no dam way I could sit on a 600RR for more than 30 minutes at a time.
    Last year I went from a 600 naked bike to a sportier bike with clipons, but the new bike is also much bigger, so I fit better.

Both those bikes are good ones. Each has their pros and cons. I've never ridden an SV, but I hear the torque is pretty fun. On the CBR, you will learn to love 13,000 rpm. If you have the money and just want to try it out - why not? But make sure you're able to find a replacement SV if you miss it. ;)

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'm 5'11 and 190

I agree, the seat on the cbr was much less comfy than the SV and even on the SV, trips made my ass sore

Yea, I like the noise of a v twin but the i4's do sound amazing in their own way

I am sort of leaning towards the cbr as it will always have a higher resale value over my SV and it is not often people will trade down to a lesser bike imo

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Have your priced insurance? I don't know what the insurance companies consider an SV, but generally they frown on anything with "RR" at the end of it.

The Honda might very well have more resale value if you can keep it clean and unrashed, but then again, the SV is a popular gateway drug. I've pointed a lot of people to it as a first bike. The Ninja 250, as girly as it is sometimes seen, loses virtually nothing in resale value and they are easy to flip. I would think that applies somewhat to the SV as well.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

As far as insurance, they are fairly comparable. The RR does cost a little more though if I set it to what I have it at now but I am able to have the lowest insurance option being under 100 a year (though most likely wouldn't do that option)

Yea, you are right about flipping. I started on the 250, sold it for more than I bought it for, then got the SV:)

7. turugara macrumors regular

If you are looking to get a bike to stay with and keep you happy for a while, the CBR is defiantly the bike of choice. It has a ton of potential in terms of speed and even tracking.

However, if your looking to flip the bike, use it to commute and have no interest in ever potentially tracking it in any way, the SV would probably be a better choice for the comfort alone.

I'm 5'8", 160lbs and a SS seating position is uncomfortable for anything more than an hour.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you can deal with how uncomfortable the CBR is then it's a fun bike to ride. Personally, every time I've ridden a CBR I've wanted to be done after 15 minutes because of the complete lack of comfort.

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Have you considered getting a 1000cc sportsbike? Until recently i owned a Yamaha FZ6 which was a great bike. However after two years i was ready for some more power. I'm just wondering how long you'll be happy with a 600 if you're already coming from a 600 (albeit a slightly different one). The fireblade and r1 are both excellent bikes! ...just a thought.

10. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Unless you plan on doing trackdays, keep the SV. It's a much more street-able bike.

11. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I have a friend who started off with an SV as his fist bike and has since owned an R1, R6, Zx6, Zx10, and now has just bought a Street Triple R and he is seriously considering buying an SV again because he loved it so much (whilst keeping the Street as it's an awesome bike). So make sure you really want to move on.

I can't recommend the Street enough either as I have one and it's fantastic!

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

From a former cbr600 owner let me say this....ride get's VERY uncomfortable after too long even with a Corbin seat. Great bike for stunting and all around jotting across town but not very practical for long commutes or distance riding.