Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...,pd.html?selectedTab=tab-1&cgid=mobile-phones

Anybody here considering the Motorola Atrix HD coming on July 15th to AT&T? 4.5" screen, 331 ppi. UI looks almost stock ICS, with minimal changes.

I was really hoping they would put a 3300 mAh battery in this like the RAZR MAXX. The weather/clock widget is really nice with how interactive it is. I may look at getting one used a few months after its released. For now my Gnex is more than sufficient for my wants and needs.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have the Atrix 4G; I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on an iPhone just yet. It's not terrible hardware-wise (dual core, mini-HDMI out), but gets a bit warm with heavy use. Biggest negative: OS is still stuck on Gingerbread.

I think I may get the next iteration of the iPhone as its replacement, though.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I was really hoping they would put a 3300 mAh battery in this like the RAZR MAXX.

I wouldn't put it beyond them to release the Atrix HD MAXX (or some such variant) a few months later with the upgraded battery. I too am pretty surprised they didn't go 3300 mAh. That is one of the biggest selling points of the MAXX.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wouldn't put it beyond them to release the Atrix HD MAXX (or some such variant) a few months later with the upgraded battery. I too am pretty surprised they didn't go 3300 mAh. That is one of the biggest selling points of the MAXX.

I agree with this on all points.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
The first thing I noticed on the homepage was this huge lie by Googlerola

"it has more vibrant colors and sports 50 percent more pixels than the leading smartphone."

Really? Specs say otherwise since the screen is 720x1280 and 330ppi at 4.5".

Big negatives for this phone:
- tiny 1800 mA battery and non-removable (probably the biggest negative)
- Camera's arestill just 8mp rear and 1.3mp front
- Only 4.7gb of user available memory on board! It can add 32gb of external memory via sd card, but many apps can't be moved to the sd card without rooting. Average joe won't know this.
- Smartactions are only smart in that it saves you an extra click or two. The features it talks about are already there. It's not like this phone has special features.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Despite the specs, I've always disliked Motorola hardware, and this is really no different. I'd wait for the iPhone 5, or get an S3.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Despite the specs, I've always disliked Motorola hardware, and this is really no different. I'd wait for the iPhone 5, or get an S3.

Say what u want to say about motorola's recent smartphones (washed out screen, subpar camera).

One thing Motorola does know how to do is design an antenna. Nokia and Motorola are still the best at antenna design. Apple is catching up. Only took them 5 versions to finally get it right.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

"it has more vibrant colors and sports 50 percent more pixels than the leading smartphone."

Big negatives for this phone:
- tiny 1800 mA battery and non-removable (probably the biggest negative)
- Camera's arestill just 8mp rear and 1.3mp front
- Only 4.7gb of user available memory on board! It can add 32gb of external memory via sd card, but many apps can't be moved to the sd card without rooting. Average joe won't know this.
- Smartactions are only smart in that it saves you an extra click or two. The features it talks about are already there. It's not like this phone has special features.

Umm rooting is not required to move apps to the sender card and it has been in there since at least android 2.2. You are allowed to choose which card to use

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
No one should buy this pos when the s3 on the market...

----------

Almost impossible. The 5 will be a huge upgrade & redesign.

Only the mid upgrades like 3Gs & 4g are disappointing.

Umm..very possible. At this point EVERYTHING s pointing to a stretched out 4S. Not so much a huge redesign. I'm holding out hope as well but with every rumor pretty much pointing to that played out design, hope fades ever so slightly.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Say what u want to say about motorola's recent smartphones (washed out screen, subpar camera).

One thing Motorola does know how to do is design an antenna. Nokia and Motorola are still the best at antenna design. Apple is catching up. Only took them 5 versions to finally get it right.

Neil Armstrong's "one small step" was via Motorola equipment. I'd hope they would have decent radios/antennas by now. Lol

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
IDK why, but that huge bump at the top of the phone just gets to me on some phones. for instance the razor, its such a sleek phone, then you get to the top and its bulky in one spot. Other than that, seems pretty nice.

redred

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Umm..very possible. At this point EVERYTHING s pointing to a stretched out 4S. Not so much a huge redesign. I'm holding out hope as well but with every rumor pretty much pointing to that played out design, hope fades ever so slightly.

There is absolutely no way in hell that the next iPhone will be a flop. In fact the worst it could do is be a mediocre success and the chances of that happening are slim to none with a 4" screen and LTE. The new screen may not be enough to satisfy you but most consumers will be very happy with it. I expect it to be the best selling iPhone to date.

I like what I'm seeing from the Atrix HD and will be checking it out this Sunday at AT&T.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Even when I was into android I hated Motorola phones. They can't design a UI worth a damn, and their overall phone design language is probably the worst among the android majors.

HTC and Samsung and even LG would come light years before Motorola.

Though, I will say on Sprint, the Motorola Photon had a radio that put all other Sprint smartphones to shame.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6

AtrixHD= 1280 * 720 = 921,600 pixels
iPhone = 960 * 640 = 614,400 pixels

921600 / 614400 = 1.5 = 50% more pixels

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
There is absolutely no way in hell that the next iPhone will be a flop. In fact the worst it could do is be a mediocre success and the chances of that happening are slim to none with a 4" screen and LTE. The new screen may not be enough to satisfy you but most consumers will be very happy with it. I expect it to be the best selling iPhone to date.

I like what I'm seeing from the Atrix HD and will be checking it out this Sunday at AT&T.

Dude...did u even read the post I was quoting??:confused:

I didn't say anything about it being a flop. He said the next iPhone was going to have a huge design change. I said that with all the rumors pointing to a phone that looks almost identical to the 4S, but stretched, it is very possible that the next iPhone will NOT have a huge design change. I for one hope that the rumored pics and mocks are incorrect because I do not want a 16:9 display. I want both wider and taller with a 4" screen. But with that being said, I will still be preordering the second it goes live regardless of what it looks like...unless it was a total flop, which it won't be. And yes, it will break all past sales records.

So next time, please read what is written before coming back with incorrect info. :rolleyes:

----------

IDK why, but that huge bump at the top of the phone just gets to me on some phones. for instance the razor, its such a sleek phone, then you get to the top and its bulky in one spot. Other than that, seems pretty nice.

That "bump" is for the camera.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
AtrixHD= 1280 * 720 = 921,600 pixels
iPhone = 960 * 640 = 614,400 pixels

921600 / 614400 = 1.5 = 50% more pixels

Ohh, I see my mistake. I didn't realize the iPhone was the "leading smartphone" they were referencing. Why not say 50% more pixels than the iphone? Is it because it is only 50% more when you include the additional realestate? Should we also say that the ipad2 has 5 times more pixels than the iphone?

And by the way, the leading smartphone is not the iphone in many markets, including the UK.

web500sjc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
And by the way, the leading smartphone is not the iphone in many markets, including the UK.

The iPhone is the leading phone on AT&T, who happens to be the launch carrier for this phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

The iPhone is the leading phone on AT&T, who happens to be the launch carrier for this phone.

Since when? With a independent industry tracker reference source as well.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
It's a cool looking phone with awesome specs, and that screen sounds absolutely amazing! But the whole Motorola UI is just horrendous, so much so I would not ever want to use it.

Also, I think this should be in the Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion Subforum.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

While I'll agree with you there, it's becoming clearer that we call people less, and less and text people a whole lot more.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.