Motorola DCH3416 to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creator2456, Sep 5, 2007.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have a Motorola DCH3416 and I would like to get my recorded video directly off of the internal HD to my MBP (or external HD).

There are 2 firewire 400 ports, 1 esata port, and 1 USB 2.0 port on the back. There is also a USB 2.0 port on the front. There is also an ethernet port on the back.

As a last resort I am sure that I can just hook a VCR or a DVD recorder up to the coaxial out or component out and record that way. But then I must play the video completely to record it instead of transferring data and I will lose (?) the HD quality that is in the original recording.

2. thejtr macrumors newbie

I have same questions...

Were you able to get answers for this? I would love to just hook my MBP up to the front of the box and rip/download my recorded shows to my computer?

Anyone successful with this?

jtr

3. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Never found an answer myself. I have looked a couple times since posting but still nothing. Would still like to find a way since I am near 90% full.

4. tdbaws macrumors member

tdbaws

The only thing that I can find out there is http://www.sage.tv/ and I don't even know if you can record the programs to where later you can burn them to dvd. The program seems to require some tweaking in order for it to work and unless your a programmer and know serious coding, it seems confusing.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

are those ports for output or input? if the firewire are output ports, then you should be able to just plug it into the mac and it would recognize the hdd.

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Service providers lock these ports for this specific reason. It's built into the firmware, I suppose you could try and find a hacked firmware and see if that works, but keep in mind future firmware updates are remote, and done in the middle of the night. The service provider just sends the firmware to the box and it reboots and updates, then your hacked version is gone. Good luck!

7. nozmoking macrumors newbie

You got it - the USB ports will charge your dead iPod or power a USB fan and nothing else. If the eSATA port was awake in the firmware, any external drives would be partitioned with data encryption that would prevent them from being read by any device other than the DVR that formatted the drive. Local channels can be captured from the firewire ports but cable and recorded video is again, encrypted. I'm guessing the Ethernet port can be enabled by your provider for Internet services but in my area the provider still uses a separate modem for this - probably so customers don't get too "frisky" trying to hack into the box.

8. 2112 macrumors member